1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steering shaft upgrade

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jperry9636, Oct 9, 2009.

1. jperry9636

jperry9636 Member

Hey guys. What are you guys doing with the typical gm steering clunk. I was hoping someone makes an upgraded steering shaft. If so point me in the right direction. Thanks guys.

Later,
    Jack

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Jack
    Summit Racing in Ohio has a Borg Warner replacement shaft that is suppose to make that problem go away.

Regards Mike

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And so does Doorman which is what I've been using since they were first released...and they definitely last. The very first one I ever used now has over 40K on it and it's still quiet.

Dorman products are available at most any auto part stores.

4. jperry9636

jperry9636 Member

thanks guys I will be getting one this week. I can't see getting a factory one and it doing it again in 15K.

Later,
    Jack

5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Man I dont even notice the noise of myn and its been doing it for 3 years (until I read these posts and the next time i jump in my truck i notice it for a couple of minutes) LOL

I guess it must drive some of you crazy....

6. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Repacked mine with wheel bearing grease 3-4 years ago. still no problem

7. bersh

bersh Senior Member

There is a new redesigned version of the shaft that is supposed to fix the problem. There are mixed reports on all of the aftermarket and even the redesigned OEM shaft though.

8. Jack, the Dorman part# for your truck is 425-176. If you were to come in off the street, it would be about $60.00 here at Federated. Most auto parts stores stock Dorman parts.

9. jperry9636

jperry9636 Member

Thanks again got the dorman one and everthing is great. Hope to not have to do it again for along time.

Later,
    Jack