1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steering questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dpglandscapes, Nov 29, 2010.

1. dpglandscapes

dpglandscapes Senior Member
    from 01982

Hey, i was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this. I have a 03 gmc 2500hd and sometimes when im not moving i go to turn the wheel and its pretty tough to. i have 285 75 16 s on the truck which are oversize and at first i thought it was because of that but then my brother said that it had happened in a impala that his buddy got for a rental as well, Any one else have this problem/know what it is?

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

First off, check the powersteering pump fluid. Should be to the full line and not frothy or bubbly. If the power steering pump checks out, look at your front end. I have seen front end parts bind before creating an issue similar to yours.

3. OMGWTFBBQ

OMGWTFBBQ Member

I had the same issue on mine. I figured out it was only when I tried to use the brakes and turn the wheel at the same time. They do work together, and using them both at once will cause that.

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

If your pump and fluid is all good,with those big dogs you have on, there will be some effort if you're trying to turn while standing still,especially if you're pointing downhill.Our trucks were never known for a strong PS system.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

This gets mentioned nearly every season due to the lackluster low speed assist most of these trucks have once the weight of a plow is added especially when running more tire. Here's one from last year that's still the best way to go. PS system upgrades

Also not a wise idea to turn the wheels while stationary any more than absolutely necessary, so try to get into the habit of not doing that as it's very tough on steering components.

6. dpglandscapes

dpglandscapes Senior Member
    from 01982

thanks a lot guys for the help, i have looked over the powersteering fluid and it seems to be full and ok, i put the plow on again today, and noticed it was only when stopped that it was happening, ill look at the front end again but i feel like it might be the tires. Thanks again

7. Mike_13

Mike_13 Member

As B&B said.... Adding 700+ pounds to the front end of the truck is likely causing your issue. I notice it on my 05 2500HD as well. I simply try to avoid turning the wheel while not moving.