1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steering problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lakeffect, Oct 22, 2008.

1. lakeffect

lakeffect Junior Member
    from NE ohio

My 1985 Blazer steers fine until I put the Meyers 7.5 on. It is very difficult to turn at low speeds. I sometimes have to brake & raise RPM's just to turn into a driveway. PS pump level ok and no leaks, belt seems tight. I'm told these pumps never have problems. What else could it be?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes they can and do have problems just like any PS pump, age and use will wear them out.

But they are one of the better ones. :nod:

Definitely sounds like a low press issue with the pump or a restriction in the hi press line. Both are rather inexpensive to replace so if the hoses are old this would be a smart time to replace them both.

3. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

The offroader crowd has a lot of tricks for improving the steering force ranging from very cheap to very expensive. Google is your friend. An aftermarket upgraded pump is usually the first thing people try, but even a stock one should be able to turn stock tires if it's in good condition. Since you are able to get it to turn by increasing RPMs I'm convinced that you are lacking a few PSI at low speed. A new stock pump is about $150, so this high pressure performance pump for $160 seems a no-brainer:
    http://www.jegs.com/i/AGR/012/807256/10002/-1

4. matzke3

matzke3 Member

You can get a reman pump and swap it into to old housing to save money. I did this on a 2000 nbs gmc. I think the pump was only like 50 or 60 bucks and that was for a variable geomitry pump that the newer truck run. Defineatly sound like a pump problem to me. I have yet to see a steering gear fail on one of these trucks.

5. lakeffect

lakeffect Junior Member
    from NE ohio

Thanks, I'll just replace the pump and lines-cheaper than that steering gear!

6. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

One thing I noticed with my truck is that with my tires around 35 psi, if I put the plow on its hard to turn just like yours..... However, I usually run my tires around 50 psi and it never does that, turns nice and easy...

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

nice to see a old k5 still going. if you want tons of info tips and great people to talk to about these go look up www.ck5.com

i bet the pump is getting weak and with the extra weight in the front it cant catch up withthe demand.

and i use the same screen name there at ck5 in case you want to contact me there.