1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steering Problem

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Troybaseball21, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Troybaseball21

Troybaseball21 Member
    from Ohio

Truck has a problem returning to center when driving down the road. I can go around corners, and the wheel will just stay there and keep turning (either direction). I have already replaced the power steering pump, and was just told I needed ball joints, and 1 u-joint. Anyone else have problem similar to this.
  2. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

from what ive seen w/the 1/2 3/4 and 1 ton trucks that come in i dont see a huge ration of this complaint but what i can say is that if an axle u-joint is binding severly that it COULD have an issue on return to center, but also is could be a p/s rack issue as well
  3. BulldogPS

BulldogPS Member

U-JOINTS, I have already replaced all of mine. Dodge does not put grease fittings in their suspension components. Had similar problem but not as severe. Also was told dodge having problems with power steering unit and steering box. My power steering is starting to whine and fail intermittently.
  4. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

i dont see a lot here but it is common (chrysler dealer where i work but it is common)
  5. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

You need to check all suspension parts as the alignment is going to dictate how well the steering returns to center (obviously if its unimpeded by the other problems listed).. Any worn ball joint is going to change alignment considerably.
  6. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Ball joints from what I have been told are very "Suspect" in our trucks....But and this is a big but, Check that the trackbar bolts arent loose as well as the pittman arm to tierod connection.