1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steering problem..

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, Apr 23, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

the last few days, ive noticed that the steering gets kinda hard sometimes, well today i noticed that i was leaking steering fluid. I can't find exactly where it is coming from. But, what could be the problem, From what i can tell, everything on my 1997 chevy k2500 is original stuff.

thanks
    -mike-

2. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

Same exact think happened to my bros 98 2500, power steering pump let go about 2 weeks later

3. mcwlandscaping

I dont know where exactly it is leaking from but............ if this thing lets go while i'm driving, what should i expect to happen? And also, how much is a new one of these parts and how wasy is it to install?

perfect timing, right as work is REALLY heating up

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The best way to diagnose where the fluid is coming from is to take some brake cleaner and clean off the area around the steering box, the pressure and return hoses and the pump itself. Then start the truck up and watch near all the part's I just mentioned for any dripping fluid. If you pull your front skid plate off you can see everything much better from underneath and I think you'll find the leak relatively easy. If it "lets go" while your driving, you wont lose your steering but it will get hard to turn the steering wheel as you'll have no power assist from the power steering system. I'd say by your description that either the steering box or the pump will be your problem as if a hose was leaking enough to affect the feel of the steering, the system would be out of fluid in a matter of seconds. As far as cost, figure on $100 or less for the pump and $250 or so for a reman box. The pumps are a bit of a pain to change on these trucks as you need to pull the pulley off the pump in order to remove the pump from the bracket and you'll need a special puller to get the pulley off. To change the box you'd need a pitman arm puller and a tie rod fork tool to separate the pitman arm from the center link. I wouldn't consider either one of these parts easy to replace if you don't have the proper tools and know how but if you want to tackle the job yourself, I'd be more than happy to walk you through the procedure.

5. mcwlandscaping

the steeering box was brand new installed last october.....and i have an extra steering pump and box laying around the house here.

The leak seems to have stopped and the problem seems to have subsided for now, but i will be checking very carefully for awhile to see what's going on with it.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I would replace the steering pump just to be extra sure if it happens again. You don't want that to go out while going 50 MPH down the road with a trailer.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A lot of times if you did not replace the high pressure line at the same time you did the pump it will leak. The plastic O ring gets damaged when you remove the line. It never seals right after that. You may be able to get a new O ring at a parts store that actually has the box of loose O ring seals. The high pressure line is the one with bolt on fittings at each end of the hose. You might try having someone turning the wheel with the truck running and watching real careful for the leak.

8. MBB

MBB Senior Member

one of the other services here had the pump shaft snap in half on their Chevy. I think they said the pump was around $85.00 don't know what installion cost was.