1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steering problem, help

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by aperfcrcle, Nov 7, 2010.

1. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

It used to be only when i had the plow on that the steering would get really stiff when trying to turn. It helps when you creep forward and turn but it is still really hard. The other day it started to do this even when the plow is off. I checked the power steering fluid and it is fine. Could it be the pump? ball joints? any ideas would help..

2. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Some information on what model and year your truck is might be somewhat helpful. I'm assuming it might be different from what's in your sig.

3. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

My 02 is doing the same thing . I originaly had an issue were the steering would be real stiff and the truck would shoot to the left or right ( caused by a bad u-joint ) I already replaced all of the ball joints and u-joints . Now the truck just feels like theres NO power steering . I,m changing the pump thursday so I,ll post the results .

4. fci

fci Senior Member

I have a 2006 F350 that the steering felt like it locked up on turns. I had a bad u joint in the front axle. Replaced it and has been ok for months.

5. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

That is exactly what it feels like.. no powersteering. Let me know how the new pump works out because I have heard that doesnt help on other forums. It is a 02 f350 powerstroke

6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Do you have your foot on the brake when you are doing it?

7. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

nope.. rolling

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Could be U joints but when I was a mechanic for our State Police we were always replacing the steering shaft (the end with the knuckle on it). The steering would get very stiff (almost as if you could barely turn it) then all on a sudden it would free up at some point in the turn and then get stiff again.

9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Hmmm...

How old is the truck, how many miles?

10. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

Had a high mile chevy that got hard to turn. Changed the fluid which was nasty and made a big difference.

11. quisman

quisman Member
    from Vermont

Jack that sucker up and do some testing.
    Does is still happen with no bearing on the tires? How does the wheels sit while off the ground?

My money is on a joint of some type...be it uni's or in the steering...i'm leaning towards the steering. If it is "locked up" that wouldnt' make the pump be the problem because you still should be able to move under your own force I would think. My old dodge plow truck did the same thing but you could feel it lock/unlock/lock/unlock based on the function and speed of the PS pump....but I could still manually turn it...barely !

12. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

Changed my PS pump and problem solved :) Be sure to check your u joints and ball joints first .
    A ujoint on the drivers side was froze up on mine also .

13. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

The other thing to check is the steering stabilizer, if it gets damaged it binds up.

14. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

this is a classic sign of a weak power steering pump on a hydro-boost brake equipped truck