1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steering knukle

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 572bowtie, Nov 30, 2004.

1. 572bowtie

572bowtie Member

does anyone know how to take off the steering arm on 79 axles i have it all off its just the steering knukle sittin there and i want the most easiest way to get it off b/c i put i 4" lift on my 1/2 and i need to change the stock one with this one i got or does anyone think that i could use my factory one.

2. crashz

crashz Senior Member

They have a conical bushing that secures the steering arm on the knuckle. They are compressed in there from the nuts on the stud. The only way I've been able to get them off is diligently soaking them with PB Blaster and gently tapping the arm with a BFH both forward and backward (on the casting where the holes are, not on the arm itself) until you get those bushings loose. Heat may help here too. Be careful not to crack the castings though, its only cast iron.