1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steering issues

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Eboucher, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Eboucher

Eboucher Junior Member

hi guys this is somewhat of a mechanical questions and a general knowledge question.

i had a steering box leak in my 2005 sierra 2500hd so i replaced it, had play in the wheel with the "new" box, 4 boxes later still having play issues.

i hooked up the plow today to get ready for winder and ran into another issue. on dry pavement with the plow on i cant turn my wheel at all ( minus the play in the box)

my 2 questions.

1. how many of you have had issues with multiple boxes failing,
    2. does anyone else have an issue turning their wheel when stopped?

i am not sure if this is an expected issue or not, i would expect it t be a little more difficult but i would expect hte steering to be able to handle it.

any advice would be appreciated.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

1) never had that many in a row...
    2) typical, needs new pump, but this is normal.

1)a. you shouldn't be going through this many boxes. are you 100% that you have no other steering components that are bad?
    what is "loose"?

3. Eboucher

Eboucher Junior Member

Oh I know I shouldn't be going through this many. 3 of 4 boxes had this issue - removed unit from box, placed pitman arm on the unit with a torque wrench . Had at least .080 in play measured at the output. One box built to much pressure on left hand turn and no pressure on right hand turns. And to define loose, it's measured 3 inches of play at the circumference of the wheel.

4. dieselss

did you adjust the backlash nut on the top?

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You will always have play in the steering wheel on that truck. You can replace the pitman and idler arm with new parts, but it'll be back. They suck for play.

And like diesel said there's a backlash nut on the top. Any powering steering pump noise?

7. Eboucher

Eboucher Junior Member

the only problem with the sector shaft adjuster nut is you still need to remove the box from the truck to adjust it properly. and its only a quick fix, as tightening it cause it to wear quicker

8. Eboucher

Eboucher Junior Member

You say I will always have playour in the wheel, how much play is expected. Aso any more than. The 3 iniches I have now qualifies it to fail state inspection

9. dieselss

and its only a quick fix, as tightening it cause it to wear quicker

It puts the proper load on the gear.

The steering shafts in Gm were prone to wear, make noise. There were so many complaints about them.
    Where are you measuring your said 3" of play?

10. Eboucher

Eboucher Junior Member

Play is measured at the circumference of the steering wheel.

11. dieselss

What? Really?
    Ok yea never heard that before.

12. Eboucher

Eboucher Junior Member

Mainly all I would like to know is, how much strain in there trying to turn the wheel on dry pavement with the plow raised. I'm in the situation where I cannot turn at all. As I never really paid any attention to this last year, should it be able to steer at a dead stop with the added weight?

13. dieselss

As I said before. Generally no. You'd have to raise the rpms a bit to turn without ease.

What i have found in our trucks, once it's hard to turn, the pump is starting to go out. Might not be going out soon..but that's tell that it's coming
    Might try a fluid change, and if you wanted could try lucas oils in there.

14. Eboucher

Eboucher Junior Member

Alright, I appreciate the input. Regardless of Rpms she won't turn, I'll have to try an additive and if not, swap the pump. I'll update the thread when it'd done.

Thanks again

15. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Any clunking noises or anything like that? Hve you checked everything else by jacking the front end up and moving the tire by hand? Should be obvious. Like diesel said the shaft gets play too

And you will always have play. It's the design of the system there's nothing you can do. A rack and pinion system won't have play

16. Eboucher

Eboucher Junior Member

Yup, as of last month all new tierods, inner and outer, new pitman and idler, new idler pivot, new box, new lower steering column bearing.

17. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Steering stabilizer? Idk if that truck has one. There isn't much else, it's just a lousy design in my opinion

18. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

If you replace the pump, get a new one from the dealer. And flush out system again.

19. Eboucher

Eboucher Junior Member

Is it actually "new" though and not a reman?

Side note, does anyone have any idea why it's Impossible to get a steering box that is actually new?

20. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Dealer,maybe. Have you been dealing with a chain parts store? They are notorious for poorly reconditioned parts. I've had good luck with RedHead steering gear. They're in the Pacific Northwest. Give them a call and you'll talk to someone knowledgeable.