1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steering issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by alivings, Dec 24, 2008.

1. alivings

alivings Junior Member

Last night while out plowing, when I would turm my steering wheels with the motor idling my steering wheel was really hard to turn. It would turm a little bit and then lock, turn and lock. I would stop turning and give it gas and then it was fine. It did it on plowed pavement and on unplowed. Any ideas? Could that be a power steering pump?

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Normal if your foot is on the brake. The truck most likly has hydroboast and it is designed to give priority to the brakes making it harder to turn.

3. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Check fluid. Were you moving a small bit in 4wheel drive? Not good to do this on dry (non slick) pavement.

4. alivings

alivings Junior Member

I've checked the fluid and I was on slick pavement. I was out in deep snow today with it and it did it again. I had no plow on but was pullin a skidsteer. I was sitting still and in 4wd.

5. r7287

r7287 Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

gm has had a problem with pumps breaking the pump shaft if u slip the belt off the pulley see if it slides right out the front pully and part of the shaft if not it may need to be changed to the cold weather p/s fluid

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hydroboost on a 3/4 ton?

7. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

ya, some have hydroboost.

8. GUSMACDADDY

GUSMACDADDY Junior Member
    from Midwest

I just had the same issue. 03 GMC duramax 2500 with 7'6 Boss. Have noticed a smell of fluid also every now and then. Checked fluid level and was ok but smelled a little different. I believe GM had a recall on some of the pumps but need to check into that more.

9. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

We had a 2001 3500 that had a PS recall, dont know how far that extends, but like said may be worth a look.

10. GUSMACDADDY

from Midwest

I am assuming I have the hydro boost in my truck but how do I know for sure? Does everyone have the issue of it being hard to turn with the plow on and in 4 wheel. I have noticed it being hard to turn while barely moving without plow and 4 wheel in the summer so is this the norm. I just got this truck in July. It's a 03 GMC duramax 2500 HD, crew and 8ft bed.

11. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Have the same problem on my 2001 2500hd and the dealer is not having success fixing the problem.

12. GUSMACDADDY

from Midwest

I am going to call a local dealer tomorrow and hopefully will have a better answer. Will post if I get anything good. I know the owner and am hoping for that to be a plus! If not I looked into a pump and they aren't that expensive...worst case.

13. dsc

dsc Junior Member

It's a normal characteristic for GM trucks to experience PS stall when supporting plow weight over the front axle on non-slick surfaces. I have never noticed any issues when in 2wd w/ no plow, especially w/ a trailer in tow.

14. GUSMACDADDY

from Midwest

Thanks! I think I will change the fluid and put in synthetic. My fluid does have a almost burnt smell to it so I figure I'll at least try it. Local deaer stated they don't have any recalls on them???

15. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

has anyone had any luck with this problem, same thing on our 05 1500 5.3L
    could it be the belt slipping?? tensioner??

16. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Well the pressure relief is probably opening. The power steering can only do so much, try rolling ahead or backward while turning and it should be fine. Try turning the wheel with the engine off, i bet you wont even be able to steer at all..

17. GUSMACDADDY

from Midwest

I ended up changing my fluid with a conditioning fluid, non synthetic since I couldn't find any, and the steering seems to be much better now. I may change fluid one more time and put some Lucas in. My fluid was pretty dark.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For you guys having weak low speed steering issues (which are well known on these trucks due to inadequate pump psi/volume)...many can be simply and cheaply much improved by adding a bottle of Lubegard's "Power steering fluid protectant". It's not a snake oil, it actually does help with the lack of steering assist on the hydro-boosted trucks. But if your fluid doesn't look too good be sure to do a flush first before adding the Lubegard...it makes a very noticeable difference.

Lubegard

Also be sure to check out their Trans fluid suppliment as well...very good stuff too.

And the Lucas PS additive doesn't help this issue unless the fluid is shot. In which case it's just a band-aid for a proper fluid change.