1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steering issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrm123180, Jan 13, 2005.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I have a 2000 1500 Silverado, and sometime it seems that when the plow is on and i'm trying to turn the steering wheel with out moving its hard. It feels as though I have no power steering. Is this a normal feeling on a 1/2 with the plow?

Thanks

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

on dry pavment not moving the weight of the plow can make any truck harder to steer. If your rolling a bit it makes things much easier......unless you are haing probs with your pump. when does it happen?

3. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I believe this happens in different conditions (I honestly haven't paid attention to what the surface was like, but I will now) and it's not a problem that seems to happen consistently; only when the plow is on.

Thanks

4. sglaine

sglaine Junior Member

Gm just recalled a bunch of there trucks on Monday so check it out. :cool:

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

if it happens intermitently while you are moving I would be concerened

6. PackRat

PackRat Member
    from Kansas

I'd check your belt tensioner. On a 2K model, it is possible that the spring has gotten weak. How long has your belt been on the truck? Could be glazed, or worn. Does the engine sound different, when it happens? Idle speed, or pump whine?
    I'd say the base problem, is that they cut back the power assist, to give more "road feel", on 88-up models. I loved the old fingertip steering, on the early models. Saginaw steering was so good, that remanufacturers made conversion pumps, so the Ferd boys could enjoy them, too.

7. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I would start with something simple. Make sure that the tires are at their maximum pressure, and that they are LT tires and not P series.....