1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steering gear pitman seal HELP!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bowtie726, May 5, 2006.

1. bowtie726

bowtie726 Junior Member

Hey, sorta new here, might be my first post... but any help would be appriciated. I've got an 87 K5... bought it with a little leak at the steering box output shaft (pitman arm). I've never had any problems with boxes before...but reading around it sounds like a nightmare. I went and bought the seal for around $10 from auto zone today... probabley try it tomorrow if the weather holds up. Haven't found much on how to do it, but one way I read about is to take off the pitman arm and snap rings, start the engine and crank the wheels all the way in one direction and hold it till the seal is forced out. But obviously that's going to make a huge mess... then how hard is it to get the new seal in? I'd appriciate any help... Sorta going into this one blind. Thanks