1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steering Gear Box

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Waterchikn, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this question.
    I have a leaking steering gear box, seems the fluid is coming right out from where the pitman arm is attached. Any ideas??
    1990 F-250 4X4 w/351
    Thankx

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

Is there any play in the steering arm at the box connection, meaning the shaft of the box itself ?? If not you may be able to just replace the seal in the box ? Not that familiar with these ... Check for play and then call some auto parts shops or places that sell parts for gears, axles, etc, they may be able to help you ??

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

When a customer comes in with a leaking steering box, we replace the whole box. Do it once, do it right and your done. We give them the option though if they want a new box right from the parts dept. or do they wanna take a chance in getting one from a junkyard. A new one from parts store might be quite expensive but a junkyard will sell you one for about 50 bucks. We tell them you can get the junkyard one if you want but if we do the job and its no good when we get done, your gonna pay the labor twice to do the job over again with another one. Mike

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've replaced seals on steering boxes with success, but if you're paying labor, like Mike says, you might want to go new or rebuilt. There are places that rebuild them, don't know off the top of my head where, though.

5. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

fixed it

After learning "another" little ford common problem, I replaced the seal in the bottow of the steering box. It works great now, just got back from plowing and everything worked great. Scary

Thanx again for the replys!!