1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steering clunk

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jay723, Nov 14, 2006.

1. jay723

jay723 Member
    from SE CT

Has anybody had any clunks in the steering of the new silverados? I have an 06. Thanks.

2. .........

My 03 steering wheel rattles all the time. I think There is a TSB on the steering linkage. It's happend on both my 03's. I cant wait to trade it on fo an 07.....

3. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I think everyone does. I brought my truck to to the dealer and they knew exactly what I was talking about. Why they dont fix it before it goes off the lot is beyond me.

4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

If you take it back to the dealer to get it fixed, they may either lube the intermediate steering shaft or just replace it. Either way, the clunk will return. The only guaranteed fix is to replace the shaft with an aftermarket Borgeson shaft. GM is stupid for just replacing the bad shafts with new bad shafts.

5. jay723

jay723 Member
    from SE CT

Thanks for the infor guys.

6. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

I guess i might have the same issue. Mine is more like a kind of rattle/clunk when turning over a bumpy surface. If i dont get the shaft replaced will it do any harm?

7. Antnee77

from RI

No. If you can live with the PITA clunk it isn't a big issue.

8. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I'm on shaft # 2 and I just took it in to be lubed again. You can buy the kit to grease it yourself but your dealer should cover it under the TSB I believe.

9. 06HD BOSS

If i bring it down is it quick enough to wait for or do i have to shedule my day around it?

10. geereed

geereed Senior Member

My dealer changed my oil and fixed the clunk in 20 minutes.

11. Antnee77

from RI

They should be able to bang right through it, especially since they probably do 10 a day. :rolleyes:

12. SnoShark

SnoShark Junior Member

There is a fix

I recently had the same issued in my 05 Sierra. The dealer was great in addressing the issue. The service adviser told by the GM is aware of the so called steering clunk and a grease kit has been developed. I too had my truck serviced and the fix was less than two hours.

13. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I also had the problem on my 04. Knowing there is a problem and just doing fixes and not addressing the problem...that's just half assed. At least toyoda will do something if there is a problem on the first year.

14. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

The mayor,

Lets not talk up Toyota, My wife brought one home in 04.
    The clutch when out before 25k miles, then less then 100 miles later the transmission blew apart. Toyota didnt pay for crap, said it was driver error.
    A lot of us filed complaint's with the NHTSB, with no resolution yet.

I put in a clutch at 50k miles.
    Everyone I have met online with this model has had clutch issues. My wife has driven sticks all her adult life without ever losing a clutch.
    I could write a book on the crap that happened to that Toyota.
    I can't afford that kind of Toyota Quailty.
    Not to be rude but please don't lie to these good people about Toyota.

15. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I currently own 3 chevy trucks and have never owned a toyoda. I do know if there is a problem, toyoda will shut down the line and fix the problem. The clunk from the steering I know goes all the way back to at least 04 and I am sure GM still hasn't worked on the problem...just do a swap on my time. Will I buy another Chevy...yep.

16. Antnee77

from RI

It goes back to around 01. They see it's cheaper to just keep lubing the shafts or replacing them with faulty ones than to actually design one that is strong and stable enough to fix the problem. They don't give a sh!t if they piss off thousands of customers, as long as they save a buck. :realmad: That's corporate America, my friend.

17. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I just had my second kit installed(interm shaft kit and lube). This time they charged me $75. saying that it was not defective just a normal upkeep item like lubing your joints. The first time it was covered. I am on my extended warr. now though.

18. 06HD BOSS

Just went down and got mine done this morning. I was talking to the mechanic and he said they do about a dozen a week. He was telling me that everyone in the service dept is pissed that chevy just cant fix the damn thing. Also told me that they dont replace the shafts anymore due to the cost & same lube problems down the road. Asked him how long this lube should last for and he said some people come back after 10,000miles other after a year or so. Also as long as your under the 3yr, 36kmile warranty its free. Took about 30minutes. NO MORE CLUNKS!!:)

19. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

From what the dealer told me they only replace them on 04's, which I don't understand that one. LOL

20. Antnee77

from RI

I wish they were generous and would just make a strengthened replacement, to be supplied free of charge. :rolleyes: Now I'm dreaming.