1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steering clunk

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wirenut, Jan 7, 2012.

1. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

does anyone know of a perminate fix for our well known steering wheel clunk ?
    i know gm has a updated shaft but from what i read it does not fix it...

thnx

2. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I had mine replaced when I had my truck aligned at a front end shop I trust. They said the sound wouldn't hurt anything but I decided to go ahead and replace. I think they did use GM replacement part. It solved the clunk on my '03 2500HD crew dmax.

3. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

4. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

read all them before, i don't think
    any are a perm fix.

5. 2004chevy2500hd

2004chevy2500hd Senior Member

WIRENUT - I replaced both upper and lower intermediate shafts and I don't hear that "clicking-like" sound. Took about 20 mins to replace both shafts.

6. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

thanks, did u use gm parts?

7. 2004chevy2500hd

2004chevy2500hd Senior Member

Wirenut - I purchased the upper intermediate shaft (passes through firewall) from the local AutoZone - If you have time - order it off of Amazon - almost half the price. The lower intermediate shaft (connects to steering box) had to be ordered from local Chevy/GM dealer - I'd be willing to be you could find better pricing from somewhere online - for both parts. I honestly started off wanting to replace the lower intermediate shaft - (b/c the steering wheel would turn about 2" from side to side before engaging) - the u joint/knuckle right before the steering pump of the lower intermediate shaft was bad....Then - I could not separate the lower shaft from the upper shaft - so I just decided to replace both b/c the upper had the "knock" when turning the wheel...So - I cut the steering shaft in half with my handy sawzall - pulled half from inside the truck (had to remove gas pedal) and then pull the lower from the steering box - "slapped" it all back together and I am golden - PS - I am no where close to being a mechanic :) - Google and Plowsite were very helpful with part# and schematics/diagrams - Please let me know if you need anything else. - I can dig up part numbers from receipts if you need 'em.

Quick Google search:

Upper Intermediate Steering shaft -

Most threads that I found recommended the Dorman replacement:
    "Dorman/Steering Intermediate Shaft" - AutoZone part # [Part Number: 425-176] $71.99

Amazon Search:
    "Dorman 425-176 Intermediate Steering Shaft" $44.99

**The one thing that I did that most folks recommended was to "lock" your steering wheel with wheels straight ahead - If you replace either shaft and the wheel turns - you might be purchasing other parts - I used about 6 bungee cords and the seat-belt to hold the steering wheel - I was doing this by myself

8. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

thanks guys ...dorman it is