1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steering box

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 350-CHEVY, Feb 8, 2009.

1. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

i've got a 1990 chevy k1500... the steering is real sloppy... ive checked all the front end components and its tight as can be.... my question is, is there a way to tighten the steering box?

thanks in advance
  2. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

It's been a while since I worked on one of those, but I think you've got a threaded shaft with a lock nut coming out the top of the steering box. Loosen the nut, tighten the shaft, tighten the nut. Don't overdo it. If that doesn't fix it, Chevy used the same steering box in just about everything so finding one in a junkyard should be easy.Post back with some feedback if that helps. I'm kinda curious now if I'm remembering correctly.
  3. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

thanks for the info ill check it out in the morning
  4. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Look for a crack in the frame near box. Tightening it only does so much I had to replace the box. Couple hundred bucks