1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steering Box 05' 3500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by UNCLETONY, Nov 5, 2011.

1. UNCLETONY

UNCLETONY Junior Member
    from IN

I have a 05 3500 and the steering box is starting to leak. The steering is getting sloppy so I am just going to replace it. My question is should I get a re-man from advance?, go to junkyard?, or get it from somewhere else? I think this is the same box as the 2500hd so if you have any advice from past experiences I would appreciate it.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I've always gone new in mine, but i'm sure reman would work just fine as well. I wouldn't waste the time going with a junkyard one.

3. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

My 05 2500HD is leaking where the steering column shaft hooks up to it. It isn't sloppy though yet, I added some Lucas stuff and the leak is less but not gone. Going to try that a couple more times.

For parts car-part.com has used ones in the $150 range while the napa/oreilly reman's are $235 or so. Looking at mine I don't think the hose ends will make it either with how they are rusted well. Also the pipe off the pump my buddy had break when removing the hose due to rotting (and he keeps his stuff clean).

I think worse case $600 bucks for the box, hoses, and pump from Napa. Also a bit of foul language and I think two good mornings will complete. One day to take it apart and see what you need (they have 2 spline counts you need to figure out) and then get the parts and install the second day.

4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Replaced mine 2yr ago, re-man from auto value for $ 160.00 works great, I'd skip the junkyard

5. UNCLETONY

UNCLETONY Junior Member
    from IN

Well I bought a re-man for $200 and change. The gearbox and fittings are rusty as hell so im gonna have to go spray down the lower engine compartments of my other trucks with some fluid film. Thanks for the input from everyone.