1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steer me right (truck choice)

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by VTDave, Apr 23, 2012.

1. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

My plan: spend up to $10k for a used 3/4 ton gas truck from down south that's never been plowed and never seen road salt. Use it to plow my private road and also occasionally for construction/landscaping. Maybe 4,000 mi per year plus 10 hard pushes with the plow per year. I will hang a plow on it myself. The $10k budget is for the truck only.

I'm looking at Chevy/GMC 2500s and Ford F250s. (I also asked over on the Chevy forum. Not interested in Dodge. Had some bad experiences....)Reliability is key. What model years and motors do you recommend? I don't have a warm place to do repair work in the winter, so I'd like to avoid models that eat alternators, wheel bearings, trannies...

Thanks,
    Dave

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Ive had the best luck with GM models for plowing honestly. They have broke the least, and ive had every brand. You should be able to pickup a decent 02-06 reg cab Chevy or GMC for around 10-12K

3. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

Ford is the only way for plowing....solid front end. I had a push of war with my old c20 chevy and the ford won, no contest

4. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

So far: 1 vote GM and 1 vote Ford (in the Ford discussion group!). What are the best Ford powertrains? I hear the early (pre-2008) 5.4L engines have cam phaser issues and the 2-piece spark plugs like to break off. So, what's best workhorse - 6.2? V10?

5. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Cant speak for a 6.2 but for the money your lookin to spend, thats probably going to put you right in the bad years for sparkplug issues on 5.4 and 6.8's. I vote chevy. Never had an issue with the ifs.

6. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

GM with 6.0 gas.
    Make sure you get someone that knows what they are doing, to undercoat a southern truck before it sees nasty weather.
    For that little annual mileage put on actual winter service tires and leave them on all year.

7. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Gm 6.0L gas get my vote for your description.

8. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

You guys are sooooo wrong. My ford will outrun my chevroletmedown any day

9. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh please...I plow with 3 GM half tons and they handle it great.

Go GM with a 6.0L

10. VTDave

VTDave Member
    from VT

I've always liked the 6.0 gas 2500hd, so sounds like it's a winner. Any model years that are particularly good/bad?

(And, Ford guys, no disrespect. I have a Mustang 5.0 and it's awesome.)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  11. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

11 and up have a heavier suspension option. Frames from 01-10 are exactly the same. So, I'd go 03-06 for price range and age.

12. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

In a perfect world, everyone would plow/drive a regular cab long box. Now that being said, I have plowed with all of the big 3 trucks. Honestly, my favorite truck was my 2000 GMC 3500 old body style (it was reg cab, long box and really nice looking), but as I recall, it gave me the most trouble out of any of the trucks I have owned (and I leased it new). I would say that today, I would much rather plow with my Yukon (when its the powdery stuff) than our super-duty for my plow route (mostly presidential). The Ford trucks are just flat out HUGE and not so manuveralble. I would also say that my 4.8 is decent on gas (about 15mpg day to day driving) and has not had any real issues. Our super-duty is a sweet truck also and has its place. It does have the 7.3 and all the power anyone could ask for. If I need to push some piles back, or its a wet heavy snow, I use that truck. It too has not had any real issues.
    To answer your question, If I were to go out an buy a good used truck today, I would be looking at a Ford regular cab long box super-duty with the V10 (5.4 is not enough engine for the SD imo).
    Just remember, THEIR ALL JUNK, JUST SOME ARE WORSE THEN OTHERS

13. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram quad cab cummins auto for sale if you are interested. It was plowed with 2 times this winter. Never had a plow before. There is a Blizzard 810 on it now but can come off easily if you want to mount something else.

14. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

I ve gotta 2002 chevy 2500 std long bed with the 6.0l and 4l80e trans and i bought it back in 06 with 90,000 for $10,900 out the door was in decent shape (no major rust or dents, etc.). still have it with about 126-127,000 on it and it was a plow truck before i bought it but the trans last year burned up on me because of a clogged trans cooler line and when it was in the trans shop they replaced the lines to $3200. and last few years has had minor things go bad like wheel bearings, fuel pump, pitman arm, and winsheild motor. these truck and go 250-300,000 miles with regualr maintenance. cheap to run for the most part 16" tires load rated of course, and i have the plow prep package (heavier springs, bigger alt., trans cooler, and 4:10 rear) can pulll down a house as well as the fuel gauge i average 11-13 on plus, aroung town.