1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steep grade

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by plumber1, Dec 19, 2010.

1. plumber1

plumber1 Junior Member

does anyone have any suggestions on what equipment i need to buy to plow a steep driveway in the mnts of nc.20%grade asphalt top. i have looked at johndeers 50 hp gator . my wife will kill me if i buy something that does not work . please help

2. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

Is there anyway you can plow it going down the grade? That will make it easier.

Anyhow, the 50HP Gator will probably do it if it has enough traction, but I'm not sure if I would be comfortable with that 3 cylinder made in China engine that comes in the new Gator.

A good UTV (like a Rhino) or even an ATV with tracks would be my choice. Not cheap though. :D

3. plumber1

plumber1 Junior Member

my home is at the top . i will start downhill. i would probably prefer deisel if it is a option .i keep plenty of fuel for 7.3 .f-250 just really worried about sliding of the ridge this would be fatal !

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If you use a truck I would just slap some chains on the tires.

5. plumber1

plumber1 Junior Member

what is the average cost to set up atv with tracks and what make do you suggest

6. MtnCowboy

MtnCowboy Member

I use a Grizzly 660 to plow a gravel road with a 20% segment and it does fine. Last Saturday we had better than 2 feet in 9 hours and I plowed twice, each time when the accumulation exceeded 12". Chains on all four, one sandbag on the front, two on the rear and the first pass is always downhill, rolling snow with the blade angled. I take less of a bite going back up and in deep snow usually hit diff-lock to keep the ATV in a reasonably straight line.

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I too use a Grizzly 660. I had no problem going through 3ft of snow down hill. Matter of fact, I went UP the hill first with the plow up! WOT the whole way just to get through it. Got turned around and it rolled the snow all the way down the driveway and up over the rack and on my lap. Never got stuck. :)

8. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Get a diesel Argo and put some tracks on it, put a plow on it and go to work.
    Or get a ranger and throw a boss v plow on it.

9. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

Well, as I said, it won't be cheap, but I hear ya... if you've got a dangerous bank, you want the ultimate in traction for safety.

Anyhow, for the ATV, I would go with a 650 - 700 class machine or bigger with EPS. That would be in the $8000 (or more) range.

You would needed an extended push tube plow system. Probably around $500

As for the tracks, I can't say I can recommend a particular brand. However, if I were going to get a set, I would go with Tatou brand. Installed, you are probably talking around $4000

Here's a link to their page. Click on the "Video Gallery" link and scroll down to the 5th video from the bottom. It shows ATV's plowing with tracks vs ATV's without tracks. It's amazing what a machine with tracks can do. :D

http://www.camoplast.com/en/tracksystem/atv_track_systems/tatou_4s_description.php#

10. plumber1

plumber1 Junior Member

thanks dave t your advice has been very hepful i will contact my local dealer. tracks it is

11. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

i think you should get the diesel you were talking about. it would be great to have plenty of fuel on hand and it should be able to push a ton of snow. as far as your options.

arctic cat has a 700cc diesel atv with a nice long wheelbase that i bet would do great and even be close to unstoppable with tracks.

my dad has a mule 2510 diesel and yes its ugly and slow as crap but let me tell you that thing will move a mountain without breaking a sweat. i would deffinately look at them if you want this machine for work purposes.

as far as the atv's lots of good brands for mainly working i'd say arctic cat. for work and fun yamaha and for both of those and sheer reliablity a honda if you don't need all the bells and whistles. there is also polaris and many like them me i have just seen too many break down, not to say their bad atv's they just don't seem to last forever like the other brands.

12. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

13. ALC-GregH

from pa

If money were no object I'd have one. What I'm really after is a cab for the Grizzly. I need to get a hair up my azz and fool with it. :D

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  14. S-205

S-205 Senior Member
    from Ontario

The diesel Arctic Cat would be a cool machine for you, as mentioned already. Maybe even try it without tracks, and if you don't need them then you just saved a few grand. And if you do need them, no big deal, just go buy them.

15. nutella

nutella Junior Member
    from wnc

why not save all the cash....
    and put together a plow truck....a used truck....chain all 4 wheels... and just use it for plowing.... not daily driver
    that would be the cheaper, warmer and more efficient than any atv...

16. S-205

S-205 Senior Member
    from Ontario

There's another idea, it will last forever if you only use it in the winter.

17. IPLOWSNO

no if ya dont use them they die quicker imo

18. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

mini truck and tracks all the way!

and post some cool videos if you get one.

plowing snow in the open air is fun for 10 mins after that its just cold

19. ALC-GregH

from pa

I find I get hot after I get going. What I'd really like is a cab with doors on both sides, then I could ditch the cover alls. The heat alone from the engine is already putting off heat so it would be warm inside. It would also stop the snow from blowing in your face.

20. IPLOWSNO

you need to learn how to do fiberglass and make your own, easy 500 into material and than its all labor. not hard just time