1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

STEEP driveways

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by flakesmeangreen, Jan 3, 2009.

1. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

I was just reading some threads about really steep drives and chains needed. Would love to see some pics of these driveways. I know the camera NEVER shows how bad they are. I'll start it out with one I declined to do. Same drive, a few years later the new homeowners call. I still declined but really wanted to suggest a ski lift! And yes I have used chains and on all four tires. Any secrets you guys have?
  2. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

3. JDT

JDT Member

Any secrets you guys have?

STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!! Thats my secret...shh don't tell anyone else!
  4. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

when did you find out my secret!!!
  5. I did a driveway last year that was twice as bad as that. I could barely walk up it let alone drive. And we're aren't allowed to use chains here... It was fun.... NOT!!
  6. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

That one about doesnt look that bad. I did one a few days ago, it was banked towards the grass hill in the front so when you slipped it was towards an embankment and to make matters worse at the bottom of the hill, the neighbor decided thats where they will park thier car. It stunk.
  7. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

my dad has one he plows and he can only plow up hill! city dosent like it to be plowed downhill then in to the road(he dosent leave in the road he plows it in to the snowbank on side of the road)

it will suck you into the side of it if ur not careful.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have a tough one to plow uphill. The Vee plow is a huge help. You're only moving half the snow off each side. You can really wind it to her speed wise, because you don't have to worry about getting pulled to one side. I also run plenty of weight and good tires. Plow with the storm, and keep chains handy if it gets away from you snow wise. Something else that helps, but often gets overlooked, is the condition of the road. When I picked up my two toughest roads, I convinced them to have the road serviced. I have a friend with a power rake on his Kubota. Works wonders. The uphill job is stone dust. He raked just before it froze. Just as smooth as asphalt. I kept it plowed and sanded last year. Most of the time it was as clean as the state highway it runs off.
  9. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

These are real-

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Now how is my Beamer going to handle that breakover angle pulling in the garage?
  11. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

well i do a plow every 2 in and salt all the time . we had a ice storm last week i had 2 salt one side sit at the bottom till the salt started working 2 get back 2 the truck. it pays very good
  12. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

hope it dont snow there that would be a fun ride down hill with a snow blower cuz i aint touching that with my truck.... actually now that i look at it more if u set off a couple of m-80s at the bottom of the driveway it might set off an avalanche after it comes down just snow blow it away
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  13. redflynn

redflynn Junior Member

what was the builder thinking

I wouldn't even look at a house or condo if a real estate agent brought me there as a potential property to view.After that "curb appeal" I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of looking at it.................Thats crazy
  14. willyswagon

willyswagon Senior Member

That would have to be the last property in the World before I'd buy it!!:dizzy:
    That is beyond Stupid:confused:
  15. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

I call B.S. no way that would pass code. got a street address I have got to see that for myself
  16. willyswagon

willyswagon Senior Member

I don't have any digital pictures of this one I used to do in Halifax. I'll try to get some scaned in. It was 900' long going down to a millon dollar boat house on the Northwest arm in Halifax. The driveway had a gentle slope towards the water for about 600', then you had to make a 90 degree left turn or go over a 27' cliff. In the next 200' section you decended 25' vertically. At the end of this hill you had a 180 degree swith back(or you would end up in the water). The final 100' was easy after that. Keep in mind that the driveway was shaded all year by huge pine trees. 14 other contartors had turned the job down.

People would only ever come plowing with me ONCE !! Most people didn't enjoy it like I did.The driveway was spot treated twice a day(just before they left for work and just before they would come home)

I was payed on a per push/per traction control basis. It cost him between $4000-$5000/winter.payup That was 10 years ago.I did it for three years without any problems.
  17. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

the steepness of that first one wouldn't bother me, but it's narrow, has rocks in the way in the first shot. and it's paved, i really hate paved, sloping drives. they never seem to have the traction of dirt.

i always plow up, when ever i can, it's always easier to back down
  18. Tacr2man

Tacr2man Member
    from England

Are those two properties near the ocaen , cause when they are built like that in the UK its usually to launch the lifeboat;)

19. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

you got that right!! who was the moron that drew up the blueprints for those houses? he should be demoted for stupidity!
  20. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I've never in my life seen a driveway that steep.