1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steep driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by karol, Oct 17, 2004.

1. karol

karol Senior Member

I'm new to snowplowing. I have a 2004 Ford-250. Hd 8" Fisher plow, brand new.. I have a fairly large estate to plow. The driveways are ashphalt. There are 2 areas that are very steep. Can my truck handle that kind of situation? and is there any advice from you guys that have been plowing for a while about plowing steep driveways...

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Depending on how steep:

1. M&S rated tires.
    2. Studded M&S tires
    3. Tire chains

Above all, the truck must be 4wd. Start from the top if possible.
  3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If you keep the steep parts cleaned off regulary and don't let a lot of snow build up on them you won't have any problems. Make sure the rear of your truck is ballasted for traction and that you have good tires.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Steep Drive

Consider pre-treating the hills when you know snow is coming.
    It will keep heavy ice from forming and the customer will not block the drive if a vehicle loses control etc. It's better to start at the top and work down so you don't need a lot of speed and can maintain control better. If the blade trips going up hill you may end up in the woods or sideways in a snow bank. Weight and good tires make a big difference too,chains may tear up the black top if you use them.
  5. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I'll second on the pre treating.

Also care and common sense go a long way.

Use your head and you will be fine,
    Mark K