1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steep driveway

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by b2driver, Sep 12, 2004.

1. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

What's the best way to plow a steep driveway, where at the bottom it ends at the garage with a parking area beside it?

Would it be better to plow it up and away from the garage or down and to the side?

I can start at the bottom very easily, that's where the truck is parked when I get it, since it's my driveway. :cool: I'm new to the plow scene, and learned a lot from the site, but from my reading here, I haven't really seen the hills being discussed too much.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I prefer starting at the top. Main thing is not to lose control of your truck. If you start at the top, keep your blade down and some snow in front of it. That'll help stop if you need to. The snow will also provide a cushion between the plow and garage door, but you should also plan how you can go to the side of the garage in case you can't stop.

Another big factor in starting at the top is less need for power; going uphill, you're more likely to get too much snow in front of the truck and get stuck or more likely to lose traction and slide sideways.

Make sure you've got good tires or chains.

Two tips: Put down salt or some type of anti-icer before the storm and "plow with the storm".
  3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

all I can say is be thankfull you didnt sign these people

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i have a driveway similar to that not such a deep grade have to take some pics of this customers driveway
  5. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

who in there right mind would build a drive way like that? Geez :gunsfiring: :) !
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I couldn't believe it, either but I've seen one just like that up here in Maine.
  7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

If you look closely you will see this is a result of installing new sidewalks and increasing the angle of the drives, however it still looks like the originals were steep too. Don't know how they ever allowed this though.
  8. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

that is insane what were they thinking or not thinking as the case may be :dizzy:
  9. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

I think a car would even have a problem with scraping the front clip upon entry/exit. That engineer needs to go back to elementary school.
  10. Flask

Flask Junior Member

engineer???????????? they should stick to driving trains??
  11. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If that were my driveway it would be heated, then sold
  12. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Man what a nightmare that would be just with a shovel or snowthrower...
  13. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

if you look carefuly you can see peelout marks in the drive from a vehicle not able to climb it/ascend it

LOL some people need to put down the crack pipe :dizzy:
  14. liberty plowing

liberty plowing Junior Member
    from 6

:drinkup: The genius who planed those driveways had a fiew too many :drinkup: :nono: :D
  15. gpin

gpin Senior Member

On the original question, in regard to liablitiy, you should push the snow from the road in, most municipalities can ticket you for pushing snow into the road. A for the driveway in the picture, I hope they put in a couple hundred feet of pex for radiant heat, at least it won't ice up with that grade. I'm concerned for toddlers and pets.
  16. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i would also worry about people on sidewalk you cant see when backing out becuase you are towering above them. also never want to have brake failure come out it either. i wonder if this isn't nate playing with photo shop though becuase that is just to insane.
  17. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

No worries there, I live on a private road. I can put the snow where I want. I'll be plowing the road as well. I'm just wondering if my truck will slide going down the hill.
  18. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

Id say so... on a dry day it looks like the truck would slide down the driveway : )

can the truck even climb that. my truck would make it up the driveway no problem but when you stick a plow on it there is no way your getting up. the plow would bottom out before anythign else. i think every plow you put on that driveway would bottom out the driveway is just way too steep.

forget about the truck though try walking it when theres snow on it. or even on a niice sunny day youll be out of breath before you even get up. i think you should get a ski lift to climb that thing.