1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steep Driveway Question.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Duplantisjj, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

OK. I bought my plow for my business parking lot but I do plan to do my driveway too :waving:

My driveway has a pretty steep slope. The plow has to be raised almost all the way just to enter from the street so it doesn't scrape pavement. My question is when I lower to backdrag, Will the plow automatically rise with the angle as I back out onto the street?? Or will it push my front wheels in the air?? Is this a dumb a question? :eek: My dealer said the plow had a "float" position but that I would only use that when hitching/unhitching....the manual says you can use float to help follow the terrain. Would I (can I) use float when backdragging?

Thanks,
    John

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have never used a BOSS plow. But all the other plows that I know of float. When you lower your plow and it hits the pavement it is automaticly in the float position. Wheather you are going forward or backwards your plow is moving up and down with the contour of the pavement, this is floating. If you back out of your driveway with the plow down it will raise up as you back out onto the street and as you start to level out the plow will just follow. The only time the plow will take your wheels off the ground is if the plow has raised to the max and it has bottomed out against your truck and you are still going lower with the front end. For this to happen you would not have been able to get in the driveway.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Yes, the Boss plow does float. :nod:

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes and Yes.

5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Do BOSS plows have down pressure????

6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

No. I've had no problems backdragging with mine. Of course I use the old trick of pushing the snow first and then backdragging.

7. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

Thanks for the responses....I kind of thought that's how it works but since the Boss doesn't have lift chains I wasn't totally sure. :waving:

As far as I know, my Boss does not have down pressure.