1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steep, curvy and gravel

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tnmtn, Dec 11, 2012.

1. tnmtn

tnmtn Junior Member

I have a chance at a contract to remove snow on 30 properties. the problem is all the properties have horrible driveways. a few almost require 4wd to go up in the summer. these driveways are tight with curves as well. to make it worse if someone slid off a side there would be some drama. driveways are too long for a walk behind and i would really like to have heat. I have thought about using a truck for these but kind of nervous about traction and also room to move at the top. top of the list is to go with a utv with cab and heat we don't get the major snow storms usually no more than 8"-10". what would the pro's suggest using if looking at this. also, considering using a snowblower instead of a plow. any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

2. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I would suggest finding some other work instead.

That said, no matter what you use, bid it high enough to make it worth your while. As far as equipment goes, without seeing the actual site, I'm not sure I could make any suggestions, but it sounds problematic.

3. tnmtn

tnmtn Junior Member

I had decided against even bidding these a year ago. they came back this year and the money is very good if they can be done.

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe a track skid steer with a blower. I would think with the drives being gravel you should be able to get enough grip to do the job. Doesn't sound like much fun so bid it steep.

5. PushnSnow

PushnSnow Junior Member

I think a track skid steer is a bad bad idea. Ever go sliding down a hill with a track skidsteer? I wouldn't even want to do it with a rubber tire skid steer. In a sliding situation you have very limited abilities to control the situation. You need ground pressure. I come from maintaining roads in mountain country in Alaska. Weight is everything. Most likely would use a pickup plow, and load it with weight to the max. Make sure you have good winter tires, and get a set of 4 tire chains for it for the really bad snowfalls. Bid high to make sure it's worth it. Properties like these that nobody else wants can be real money makers. But they are a gamble.

6. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

seasonal price it . aim high . hope for a warm winter .

7. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

4wd Tractor with a front mount blower. Think JD4720.

8. RSE

RSE Member

Maybe a 4x4 tractor/loader with a 3 pt snowblower wide enough to clear the wheels?Fill the bucket with a huge pile of snow for counter weight. Tire chains would surely help in reverse on gravel. Bid high and take your time. A couple of driveways I do have the same issues.They pay the "executive" rate.....

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

That's what I'm talking about!

10. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

11. tnmtn

tnmtn Junior Member

thanks for the replys, I like the idea of a 4wd tractor, what are your thoughts on something like a JD 790 with blower on the front. do tractors with chains get better grip than a truck with chains?

12. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Selectable locking diffs and better visibility help.

The 790 would work, but I'm a ***** and require a cab and heat if I'm going to be out in the crappy weather.

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I had two of these two years ago and it was hell until I bought new tires and put chains on. Once I did that, I never lost traction again even on really icy storms. Black ice under the snow didn't make a difference either. I definitely recommend chains and bid high.