1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steel vs. rubber cutting edge.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by emmert35, Dec 6, 2012.

1. emmert35

emmert35 Junior Member

hey guys, was getting a few of my snow pushers ready to go this morning and started thinking about rubber cutting edge vs. steel. Ive been pushing a large mall parking lot for the past 4 years and have always had rubber cutting edges on my boxes. Just wanted to get some people's own opinions on what they think is best and why...

about a month ago I was a signature away on a check to buy the new Avalanche Optimus snow box and i just couldn't bring myself to spending twice the amount for a box when i believe my standard rubber edge blade works pretty well. (i did end up buying a 400 series box with floating shoes and rubber edge, cant wait to try out the floating shoe!)

2. 1rubbertrack

1rubbertrack Junior Member

I know iceman on here sells the artics which have steel edges , i have seen them them in action they do better than rubber edges,

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

We have both. 2 steel and 4 rubber I can tell you that the 2 running the steel love them..now here is a main difference. The rubber leaves a little film after,,and you can wear out a rubber or skies like ASAP. So if you salt the mall you will be using less...saving money..no rubber edge to flip,adjust,replace. No skies to adjust, replace or stay rigid. Look at the cost to repair the rubber ones and usually its half to nothing a year for the steel ones. Minus damage

4. A.M.Canfora

A.M.Canfora Member

here in North New Jersey where its 90% of the times a slushy snow I love plowing with a rubber cutting edge, but on those times where its hard packed has that icy film you can't beat a steel blade for scraping.