1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steel vs. Poly

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MGoBluePlow!, Nov 20, 2006.

1. MGoBluePlow!

MGoBluePlow! Junior Member

What is the difference between a Steel plow and a Poly plow?:eek:

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

about 50lbs

3. MGoBluePlow!

MGoBluePlow! Junior Member

Which one is lighter?

4. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

poly is lighter and steel likes to rust

what kinda plow u looking at?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Poly plows are not lighter than an all steel plow.This is a misconception.The poly's need extra frame work on the back side of the moldboard to support the poly sheet. Usually 50 or 60 lbs more in most cases.

6. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

B&B is 100% correct.

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Would steel be a better long term choice than poly? How does the poly wear over 5 years versus steel?

8. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

thanks b&b i did not know that....interesting but now that u put it in words i can see where u comin from...learn something new everyday!!!

9. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Go poly. I cant see why anyone would even buy a steel plow anymore unless you are buying a V which currently arent available in poly.

Steel plows are a few hundred cheaper generally but the hassle youll save long term after it starts to fade and rust is well worth the extra few hundred up front.

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

LOL:dizzy: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cheek out the Boss V plows,
    You have been able to get them in poly for a couple of years now...

11. LLM Ann Arbor

Sorry dude. Im a Meyer guy and not totally up to date on the new kid in town.

And "Cheek" out a dictionary for once.

12. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

No fighting!!!!LOL
    J/K

Go poly. it is well worth it,

13. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Well poly is available in a V as stated. And if you take care of a steel plow they will not rust and fade. It is called maintenace, ever hear of that?

14. LLM Ann Arbor

Well....I have enough equipment to maintain and I prefer the low maintenance of a poly plow.

I think most guys do that have them ECS.

Of course we dont bill the customer for wax or a can of spray paint to touch up like you would either so.....whatever.

15. ECS

ECS Senior Member

LOL . that is too friggin funny. Wasn't it you that said you needed more customers and you also have that great sales pitch to throw at them and educate them. that is what the problem is, you spend too much time trying to educate people about removing snow and telling them you will do work for free. Stop the stupid practice and you will have more than enough time to maintain equpment. How much equip. does a solo that needs work need? Apparently you are not booked so you have more than enough time to maintain your lightly used snow plow. Where did I say I was billing for wax and touch up paint. You need to either get off the meds you are on or get on some much needed meds.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No problem rfed32,That's why i joined up...to spread knowledge and to learn some more for myself! As to the poly/steel debate other than the fact the poly will roll snow better in some condition's there's no difference to me on the rust issue.The poly sheet won't rust but all the frame work on the back will. Still gotta sandblast both type after a couple of years to keep them lookin' good.

17. LLM Ann Arbor

I dont know....The ribbing etc on my Meyer Diamond seems to be Powdercoated. The A frame isnt. You can see a visible difference in the surfaces.

I may be wrong....again, but my poly plows 5 years old and doesnt have any rust whatsoever on the framing.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, Meyer (as well as most other manufacture's) powdercoat most of their framework for rust prevention. I like powdercoating but it's a bear to remove even with a sandblaster during a repaint.

19. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Ann, I was using a Meyers steel for 6 years and it was 2 years old when i started using it and there was no rust on anything, plow, frame, nowhere. That's why they need to be maintained. Don't matter if the plow is poly or steel.

20. heavy detroit

heavy detroit Junior Member
    from Livonia

repairs -poly vs. steel

To keep this going a little longer and I need to get to 10 posts for PM use: Which would be easier to repair after medium damage to the framing or moldboard?:yow!: