1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steel vs poly

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chuckers, Jan 31, 2005.

1. chuckers

chuckers Member

What are the pros and cons of a Western Poly to a Western Steel? I am looking towards a poly I have a steel now.

2. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I have a poly and I like it because it does not rust. I do worry about putting something berried in the snow through it though. I could see the pro's and con's in each but I think nothing looks worse than a rusted up plow on a nice truck. The other thing is a painted plow if not prepped right and sprayed looks just as bad.

I am very anal when it comes to the condition of my equipment. I'm the type of guy who gets ticked when someone rolls up my extension cords and wraps them around their elbow. So that give you a little insight to where I am coming from. LOL

3. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

Snow doesn't stick to the Poly there for better flow of snow. Just remember the Poly plow is much heavyer than the steel blade. Only cause they used more and bigger steel to back the poly up in the framing. I have poly and it's my second one. Never go back to steel, only if it's an 810.
    The sales rep told me the poly was as strog as the steel if not more. He says it take a shot gun blast no prob. I replyed back, test the one in the show room and I buy one if it holds up! :D

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  4. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Switch to a Stainless steel Fisher X Blade and solve all your problems.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

<i>"gets ticked when someone rolls up my extension cords and wraps them around their elbow"</i>

You don't know how red eyed that makes me!!!

On my western it is steel but has a plastic/poly lined front. Have yet to see another with one like it but it came that way when I bought it so don't know where or if Western seel's or sold them. On my Boss it is all steel and snow sticks when wet or real cold. cold and wet is worse. I have learned to just drop the blade at times in the night to bang it off but there are times I have to use a scraper or what not(foot) to knock it off. I have tried Pam/WD-40/wax an so on. It happens with steel so I get used to it.

6. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Reaper I'm glad I'm not alone. My friends think I'm nuts but nothing aggravates me more than a cord that gets twisted and wont lay flat or even roll up anymore. :realmad:

7. chuckers

chuckers Member

What is so special about the stainless steel? I was just wondering. I am looking at all options right now.

8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

snow will stick to poly if it is cold and real wet but not as bad as steel.

9. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

This is my 5th season with a Boss 9'2" poly V. It has a couple minor gouges but nothing really visible. They are right, the poly has more steel reinforcment on the back side of the blade. I hear of people twisting the wings on their Boss blades but it has never happened to me (and I have really hit some hard sh*t). I believe it is because I have the extra steel behind the poly molboard. Snow does stick to poly under the right conditions, but not nearly as bad as steel. I waxed my poly last fall and it seemed to help the snow slip off and stay off. Personally, I would never go back to steel (no matter what plow I buy) just because of maintanance issues. We don't have a lot so salt to deal with out here and I couldn't imagine what alot of you guys go through back east with steel blades.

10. Go Pats

Go Pats Junior Member

I agree with lakeefect I love my x-blades. Stainless wont rust, the angle of the cutting edge is more aggressive, and the surface of the blade is taller than a traditional fisher. The way the blade is shaped and the extra weight makes it back-drag to pavement. The bracing still needs to be sandblasted and painted every few years but it comes apart so easy and NO YELLOW PAINT!!

11. ohnomrbill

ohnomrbill Junior Member

Wow, !! You Illini boys sure are touchy about your electrical cords. No wonder they call you "The Fighting Illini".... actually my wife has a habit of winding up tighter than that cause her forearms are shorter ... I leave em so she dont get ticked (til she aint lookin') but I like'em in a nice loose loop -- (about garden hose size). I take it you guys aren't talking about something like the Homesteader when referring to Poly plows, but surely you're not talking about those clear see-thru type?

12. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

LOL yeah I thought I was the only one touchy about my extension cords.

My plow is a western poly pro not the clear type. It came with the truck when I bought it but I am very happy with it. I was torn on a few different trucks and this one having the poly plow is what made me buy it. I know I will have to sand the frame down and paint it this summer starting to show some rust but the blade looks good and thats what the customer will see.