1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steel vs. Homesteader??

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by charlg, Sep 29, 2005.

1. charlg

charlg Member

I bought an '05 Wrangler Unlimited with a manual trans.. I am hearing conflicting opinions whether I should put a steel plow on it (Fisher LD) or Homesteader. I will be doing about a dozen driveways to start.

2. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

plow

Get the steel or really look into the curtis poly. There is a dealer in billerica mass..A bud had one on his cherokee and loved it..

3. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

You should consider a Snoway. I have it on my 2000 TJ and am very happy with it. I was doin almost 40 driveways per night last season, never had a problem with it. Its not going to kill your susp. and will plow just like a steel plow. The down pressure system really helps.

4. charlg

charlg Member

I saw the Curtis at at fair and liked it. Where in Bilerica is the dealer?

5. mikelawtown

from Mass

plow

495 to woburn st. (not sure the exit # maybe 37 or 39..if your coming from the south take a rt off exit and they are about 1 mile on left..its a welding shop.u will see the plows up high on the left of the building..I highly recomend the setup....good luck keep us informed.. :waving:

6. charlg

charlg Member

The Homesteader is out. How about comments about Curtis plows. The mount is the same for the 7' poly as an 8 foot steel and looks heavy duty, but the poly blade and poly edge worry me. I'm trying to get something this week. I need help! BTW the Fisher steel LD and the Curtis poly weigh the same.

7. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

I also like the Curtis plow. I have been seeing a few more around here each year. I haven't used one yet, but they are local and the product seems to be doing well these days.

That being said, Fisher has been the "King" here in New England for a long time. I use a Fisher, and have no reason to change. Even though Curtis is in Worcester, and Fisher is from Rockland, Maine, parts and emergency repairs are more readily found for Fisher in my area. I stock every pin, hose, lightbulb, etc. for my Fisher, so I dont need help often. If I did, though, there are plenty of places to go.

By the way, the Fisher LD comes with a polymer cutting edge, but a steel edge is available for the 7"6" version. I wouldn't be too concerned about polymer components. They've been around for quite awhile, and have some benefits over steel. Poly doesn't rust, and snow doesn't stick to poly like it does to steel.

Bottom line: Buy what is right for you. Sometimes it has more to do with the dealer than the plow. Most of the brands have good stuff these days. The competition is too great not to.

8. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Go with the curtis I have one love it. Go to your local plow dealer and have them put holes in a steel edge for you thats what I did. Works great. Look it up in the search youll see some good pics of my truck and HBradys.

Jason

9. charlg

charlg Member

Thanks for the comments. The new Curtis goes on tomorrow!! I will post some pics.

10. mikelawtown

from Mass

where are u ending up getting it from?

11. charlg

charlg Member

I got it in Worcester, I have a friend that knew someone there. They were $400 cheaper than Billerica, and I put the Timbrens in myself. Curtis turned out to be one of the most expensive out there. I think it will be worth it - it's a nice setup.

12. charlg

charlg Member

The new Curtis....Thanks to all.

plow1.25.jpg

13. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

Lookin" good.

That Curtis should work out great for you. They are forcasting a pretty rough winter from what I hear, so you'll be glad you got it.

14. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Lookin good my friend. You may get frustraded with the poly edge, I replaced mine with a fisher for $100.

15. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Just helped my brother set up his 02 Wrangler........... 7' Western Uni-mount up front and 6.5' Daniels pull plow in the rear.

This will be the first year we are using a Jeep for our residential work that we have kept over the years. We try to do commercial-retail work only, but we still do our best to take care of our lawn customers that need snow assistance.

ChicagoSnow

Mikes 2002 Jeep Wrangler with plows on 10 2005 004 WEB READY.jpg

16. charlg

charlg Member

Are you going to keep the poly edge?

17. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I have to replace my edge in the next few weeks and am trying to decide which to get a poly or steel edge. The only reason I am even thininking of a poly is, because one of my customers has a big paver drive. But I did that driveway laste year with my steel edge and it seemed ok, I just had to lift it a little.
    Does the scrape really change between the two? and How fast does the poly edge wear out?

18. Diesel-Man

Diesel-Man Junior Member

Timbrens?

What are Timbrens? Overload Springs? Shocks?

19. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

They are basically larger rubber "cushions" that bolt in place of yoru stock bumpstocks and keep the front end from squatting when a heavy loads placed on the front. So basically the suspension rests on these rubber "cushions"