1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steel v/s Poly ?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Northman, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

When it is time to replace my steel moldboard I was thinking about going with a poly.

I am just a homeowner with a 700' driveway to take care of that is pretty bad about drifting.
    I also help the local homeowners in the area when needed on a regular basis and do not do any commercial plowing, just residential and farm lanes.

I wonder what the advantages of going with a poly v/s steel would be. So guys that have time on both what is the good v/s bad on the comparisons between the 2 types?

I have noticed the myers steel plow seems to rust and corrode pretty rapidly compared to my last plow which was a northman. Winter salts didnt seem to phase the metal in that plow compared to the metal in the meyer. So is a poly for me in the future.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I do not believe you can just put a poly mold board on a steel plow without changing out all the reinforcement as well. That means just dropping the center pin, and both angle cylinder pins, and put all new back on. Ploy plows have more steel in behind them, than steel ones do. If the only reason your looking at poly is due to rust, then yes a poly is in your future. I have one that is 11 years old now, and it still is in great shape. Just remember that a poly plow weighs more than a steel plow, due to the extra reinforcement.