1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steel tracks on skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by vet934, Dec 8, 2009.

1. vet934

vet934 Junior Member
    from Idaho

Anyone plowed with steel OTT on pavement? I have seen a lot of chains and wonder if a guy was careful if the tracks would work better.

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Don't even think about it! I have steel tracks for my 863 Bobcat. They scratch all concrete and asphalt in the blink of an eye. Plus tires would probably spin inside tracks real easy with snow and ice.

3. Kenkreger

Kenkreger Member

I find them helpful for off road winter operation like brushing snowmobile trails. However the tracks slip sideways much easier then tires chains do. Also most don't run real smooth at high speeds normally used when plowing. Overall I think your better off with studs or tire chains.
    Ken

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

X's 2................I have tried it on pavement once and that was all it took. HORRIBLE traction, plus it will tear up the pavement.

5. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I plowed our shop one time with a D3 and I can tell you I almost hit our dump truck because the lot was on a bit of a slope and I hit ice. Slides sideways like a B@$+@rd.:eek:

6. vet934

vet934 Junior Member
    from Idaho

so will a skid with chains out push a CTL? (and I mean apples to apples like JD 332 cs 332 CTL)

7. Kenkreger

Kenkreger Member

I'm pretty sure it will. Chains have some serious bite. Ctl's remind me of racing slicks in a snowstorm. Maybe with studs you'd be ok.
    Ken