1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steel Skid Tracks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ColumbiaLand, Jan 24, 2010.

1. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Ok, did some searching and did not come up with the best info. I recently bought a 248 cat skid, I just bought a 10' protech for it. We did a large land clearing job and I put the steel over the tire tracks for better traction in the woods and they were great. Question is can I leave them on for snow removal on a paved lot? Would they even help? They are just a pain to take on and off. They do not have any studs installed. Here is a crappy cell pone pick from the other day when we were logging:

Skid Tracks.jpg

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't go near blacktop with them on for a few reasons
    - No traction, think how easy your cutting edge slides.
    - Leave scuff/spin marks on the pavement wherever you go.
    - Probably ride like hell and be annoying

3. ColumbiaLand

I can't remember the brand of tracks, I will get that and a better picture up close of the tracks. I'm going over to meet with the owner at the site in a bit.

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Exactly....been there done that. They ABSOLUTELY SUCK on pavement when pushing snow.

5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

yea i drove a skid with thoughs metal tracks on pavement once, bad plan its worth taking them off!

6. ColumbiaLand

Ok at this point I'm just going to take them off!

7. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

Our tracks have rubber inlays in them so they would not do any damage to the pavement, they just make for a very uncomfertable ride...

8. ColumbiaLand

I'm just going to take them off after this project is complete

9. Pennings Garden

from VA

I know why you are asking they are a B**h to put on. My trailer is not wide enough to put the machine on with the tracks on as I have axle extensions on my bobcat so I have to put the tracks on on-side, that's why we almost never use them...

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Take the tracks off for sure.

It gets alot easier after you do them a few times.

I can take mine off in a few minutes and put them back on in under 20.

11. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

That doesn't sound like much fun. Can you at least fit the machine on w/ the wheel spacer already on?

What he said /\/\/\/\/\

These tracks are fairly hard on their bushings as well, I'd only run them when you need them.

12. cretebaby

Don't you think the savings in tires is worth it?

13. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

we would remove you from our jobs if you tried to use metal tracks on our jobs. just think what concrete would look like with a few hundred scrapes from a 8k pound loader???

i know they are a pain to take off but just ask yourself to think " would i want to do this on my drive?" :)

just my 2cents

14. Pennings Garden

from VA

Yeah, the axle extenders are factory installs, the machine fits on the trailer with a half inch on each side.

the tracks on are worth it if the machine stays onside for at-least a week of running it hard for the benefit of tire wear alone in regular landscape construction, in snow and ice the tire don't wear as fast anyway so I don't think it is worth the rough ride.

even a factory track machine is not comfortable compared to a wheel machine...

15. jomama45

Is that a serious question or are you messin'?

I can't say I've ever thought of it that way, but I did post swomewhere the other day that I figure $1.25 - $1.50 per machine hour in tire cost. I guess I'd have to see 2000+ hrs. out of the tracks before I saw the advantage. Thats also assuming 0 tire where in that time.

I also see the hardest tire wear plowing in winter, followed by any other pavement work obviously. I don't worry about tire wear in soil, which is the only realistic place the tracks can be used anyhow.

esides, any given week in summer, that machine may be on 4-5 different jobs, some dirt, but mostly at least some pavement. That alone makes it a PITA to keep them on for US.

16. jomama45

Well, I guess my tire wear may be a whole lot different than you guys?

BTW Scott, are your next set of tires gonna say "Bobcat" on them? :laughing:

17. cretebaby

I couldn't be more serious.

I have over 1500 hours on my tracks and have only replaced a handful of bushings that showed some wear when they were out anyway. I would have to think I have saved at least one set of tires besides all of the other benefits of running them.

18. cretebaby

The set I have now are Bobcat. :waving:

19. jomama45

Sounds like it works for you & Pennings well.

It just doesn't work into the logistics of the work I do. Don't get me wrong though, there are times I can't go w/o them.

What tires & what tracks?

20. cretebaby

Recaps and Loegering