1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steel Prices Going Down

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Dec 30, 2004.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Some of you already know this, however from those who dont, and may be panicking because they need trailers/plows and are stressing the rise in steel in the new year, well Steel is going down according to the news today!!!!

Talk about good news!!!!

Anyway, I figured I'd let the guys who needed equipment and were stressing the rise in steel, that there is no need to stress it. Steel is sopossed to go down according to the news. There is an oversupply in china, which will help us get the steel cheaper. This was in the news as I was going through it this afternoon "Shares of steel companies tumbled Thursday, after a published report detailed the threat of a global steel oversupply due to China's new position as a net exporter."

Anyway, just trying to share some info to people who didnt know. Hope I helped in anyway.
    Have a good New year everyone!

2. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

about damn time...it is almost cheaper to buy the things i build for my truck..i just don't understand how china can buy our steel then sell it to us cheaper than what we can make it here. YOu know, export it over there process it, then ship it back....just more americans losing jobs :gunsfiring:

3. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Maybe I'm a glass is half empty guy, but I will be shocked to see if these steel 'savings' get passed on to us consumers........

4. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

mark email me some prices on your equipment like trailer sim very intrested mxpxkid2@yahoo.com thanks

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with GSE. We'll see this difference just like we're seeing the "difference" in gas prices, since the price of barrels is going down.

6. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

as long as scrap stays where it is right now I will be happy

7. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Man thats good news! I sure hope it work out that way. The guy next to me owns a machine shop and he told me that the steel that china imports is recyled scrap and that the quality is garbage. Maybe thats why it's cheaper who knows.

8. GSE

GSE Senior Member

Amen Brother.

9. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

I'm glad to see prices dropping as well. I work for a small steel distribution company, and with the prices being high, sales have really dropped, dropped to the point that I have been put on part time, mornings only. Kinda bites the big one on that.

William