1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steel or Rubber guard? Which is better?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by kmamark2000, Nov 24, 2011.

1. kmamark2000

kmamark2000 Senior Member

I have a 7.5' Curtis Snow Pro 3000. on it came a steel snow guard on top of the plow instead of the usual rubber ones. I just got it this fall and haven't used it in the snow yet. Does anyone have experience with the steel guards? Are they better? Thanks!
  2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Personally I would rather have rubber, you really can't wreck it or hurt it. My Snow Wolf plow on my skid has a poly( hard plastic ) deflector. I don't like how rigid it is. If I hit it against something it's ruined. JMO
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I have a steel one on my Fisher.

The previous owner had put a wrinkle in it with a pole, and I swear the foil is what helped lift my plow when trying to break through 12-15 inches of snow, thus getting me lightly stuck.

Now, mine was twelve inches from back to front, with a slight extra forward bend at the end. What I did this year was to cut it in half and see if it solves some of my issues in deeper snow, and take take some pressure off of it when stacking snow.

Also, keep all your bolts tight and check them often. The vibration of the metal snow foil works them loose (even lock nuts) and you'll crack the foil.

I have also used the rubber ones in the past, and I think I like the performance of the metal one, even with it's drawbacks. The rubber ones, though they do work, seemed to let more snow back at the truck.

4. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

how thick should the rubber be? Ive heard of some guys sandwiching 2 pieces together so it doesnt flop back over when stacking snow or while driving at highway speeds. Is that overkill? Im looking for the most cost effective way of making one... Ive called a couple quarry's for conveyor belt but no luck.
  5. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Use conveyer belt material, check on Ebay they have 8-10' rolls all you got to do is add the holes, I got one three years ago and still looks brand new.
  6. kmamark2000

I saw a guy driving his plow truck today and he had a rubber flap which was standing straight up in the air waving. I wish I could have gotten a picture of it. it was hilarious.
  7. Rain Man

Rain Man Senior Member

I think the steel one would be fine for roads or areas were your not stacking snow, the rubber ones are more forgiving and are good for all uses.

2010-12-07 10.57.52.jpg

2010-12-07 10.57.52.jpg
  8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

General consensus seems to be certain metal ones (like the Fisher foil, not the steel deflector) are better for long pushing like roads and lots but hinder stacking.
    Bought a foil back in the days when I did lots but never got it installed before I switched to resi work. Almost no use in resis.
  9. kmamark2000

So I assume by what I have been reading, since I do all residential driveways (for now) I should remove the steal guard because it will hurt more than help. Very interesting concept. I love this website..
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What they said.

Take it off...