1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steel or rubber cutting edges?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tilawn, Mar 6, 2008.

1. tilawn

tilawn Member

Gentlemen (and ladies) was wondering if there is an advantage to haveing rubber over steel cutting edges? I currently running all steel edges on my plows. Which is more cost effective, and better cleaning, and longer lasting?
    Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Steel trip is best, hands down, no comparison.

3. davink

davink Member

The only thing that I have found a rubber edge to be good for is clearing a brick layed driveway. Otherwise I would go with steel:)

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Poly best of both worlds

5. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Staying with steel

Started with steel, tried poly, now back to steel and staying with steel. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. I loved my poly edge due to stone lanes it would seem to glide over those rough spots compared to the steel edge. The poly edge was nice and quiet and against curbs it would just skim instead of biting and digging in. The only thing that I didn't like was when you get a wet packing snow and tried to backdrag, the snow would pack and then the poly edge wouldn't cut it. It would ride over top of the pile and not get it back up. That was the only disadvantage. But as you could imagine, it was frustrating. So back to steel and staying that way.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

For some reason, I thought he was talking about pusher blades but he didn't say. So I'm going with steel for pusher. I have a patterned concrete driveway, would poly be fine to use on it? I just layed it in the summer and I've been doing it by hand so far. I really don't want plow marks on it yet,

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The joys of down pressure:D

Great for pavers, sealed concrete, etc...