1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steel or poly ?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by spdblos944, Aug 19, 2007.

1. spdblos944

spdblos944 Junior Member
    from midwest

been researching it for a while and have seen all the positives on the poly, now I thought I'd get the info right from those of you who actually use them. Are there any negatives to the poly as opposed to steel ? Are they as strong and durable in the long run? Looking at a 8' sd to put on a 06 F250 SC 5.4 for commercial lots. Thanks

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I run a 8'2'' poly vee on my truck and I love it. The snow doesn't stick to it. Thats one of the biggest things I looked into when I bought mine. I was going to go with a steel because they are lighter than the polys but figure in a good cold storm and maybe a foot of snow, you know it will end up sticking to the blade. Or you could buy fluid film. I have never used it but I hear good things about it.

3. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

There really isnt much difference between the 2. We own both steel and poly Vs and have run them side-by-side quite a few times and the snow sticks to them both.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We have both and don't notice much of a diff. The paint wears off though and you have to repaint it more often then the poly.

5. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Poly!

Have a 9'2" poly v and love it! Color stays, no rust, seems strong enough, will buy more of same in future.