1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steel or Poly

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IA Farmer, Nov 27, 2004.

1. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I bought a western 7'6'' steel pro series plow last year and at times I wish I had gotten the Poly moldboard are there any major disadvantages of the poly other then you cant weld it when it cracks like the steel. I see a lot more steel plows out here in my area and I think the poly looks like it would require less maintainance as it wont rust. Just curious as to why not as many people have them.

2. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

LOL, if I had a Poly Plow, I'd be wondering if I should have gotten a steel plow. Every picture I've seen of a Poly moldboard in action, it has snow stuck to it, though I'm sure they work great. Then there are the gaps and bolt heads sticking out catching snow.

Seems like a smooth solid steel moldboard with that new epoxy paint like Western and Boss have, would have a pretty low coefficeint of friction. Maybe not as slick as Poly, but certainly much slicker than bare steel. Wax it or coat it with silicon, and it's probably slicker than Poly.

You don't save any weight worth mentioning with a Poly, some are heavier than the same size of all steel plows because of the extra supports required on a Poly plow. And I'd always be afraid of cracking it, though I'm sure they're tough as nails. It seems a Poly plow would be better, but not enough to make me think about making a switch.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I personally have a steel plow and I completely coat the whole thing with WD40 before I go out to plow. NO SNOW sticks to the plow.

4. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Wd40, ? good idea, how long dose it last?

5. The Boss

It lasts me an entire snowfall but I recoat the plow everytime I plow. Alot of guys wax the moldboard also. :waving:

6. Vaughn Schultz

Looks like I will have to go buy some wd40 tomorrow. good idea.

7. The Boss

It works great for me. I use it not only to keep snow from packing onto the plow but also to keep extra weight off the front end. ;)

8. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

I hate WD-40. It may displace water when it's sprayed on a surface, but once it's on there, it actually draws moisture out of the atmosphere and causes rust. Not to mention it's carcinogenic. I don't know about coating a plow with it, but otherwise that stuff may be the most over-rated product on the market.

9. Vaughn Schultz

Well do you have any suggestions ? :jester:

10. The Boss

That's funny, it hasn't made mine rust and I've been using it for 4yrs. :rolleyes:

11. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

12. Vaughn Schultz

Have you used the silicone spray ?

13. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

go into your kitchen, grab a can of pam, and spray that on there.... then when you get home from plowing, heat the plow with a torch and fry up some eggs and pork roll on the moldboard.

14. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

no i'm kidding... mostly because cooking eggs on a vertical surface would be quite a feat... but seriously, cooking spray and or silicone spray will work. I used to spray pam all over the bottom of my mower decks and it helped out surprisingly well when it came time to scrape the deck. i think it will do the same for the plow/snow.

15. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

ok guys how about this to keep your blade clean :nono:

ap2.jpg

16. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

Been through about a half dozen runs (2" or more each time) during our season with my Boss 7'6" Poly....never used Wax or silicone or lubricant and the only place snow sticks to is that steel cutting edge on the bottom... maybe I'll try a little WD40....help that ozone layer out :waving:

Pretty happy with my poly moldboard....we'll see what the years do to it.. ..I do see a LOT of steel plows running around that look really bad...no paint, rust...just plain lack of maintenance I guess.. :nono:

17. dodgerocks

dodgerocks Junior Member

I have a steel blade now...couldn't pass on the deal for the plow but for the last 4 yrs. I had a poly pro from Western. That blade will never crack. You may get a few nicks in it but that is it, and now the snow doesn't stick to it. The best thing is it will never rust. I would have gotton another but when you get a new pro plow for 2 g's you can't pass it up.

18. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

IMHO if the snow is really wet and heavy it will stick to a poly plow. if i had a chance to get my plow again i would go with a poly plow. less maintenance and less snow sticking to it.
    on a side note my boss has a 8'2" polly boss v plow (on its 3rd season) and that thing has lasted very good and he is not gentle on equiptment. he will and does find every weak link. :)

19. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

We have 4 Meyer Poly 8.5's.......... very satisfied!

The only thing that shows signs of aging/rusting are the springs, cutting edge and any scrapes on the rear painted bracing.

I really cant see why people would choose steel anymore with the advances made in poly plows? I have been through the sandblasting and painting of old Western and Meyer blades...........MONEY & TIME!

I would really like to see a Blizzard 8611 poly created for the F-350(1 Ton) class. That WILL be my next plow as soon as they advance to poly.

ChicagoSnow

20. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I have, it is cheaper and works better than PAM too.