1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steel Or Poly

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gilllawnservice, Aug 17, 2003.

1. gilllawnservice

gilllawnservice Junior Member
    from Midwest

Getting ready to have a plow put on my f250 PSD SD Crew. The equipment is boss but I wanted to know which type of plow to go with. V or Straight? Poly or Steel? Will mainly be doing smaller properties.

Dealer said the poly plow is about 10 pounds heavier than the steel. Is this true?

Thanks

GLS

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

It depends on the type of snow you typically get. Here we often get the wet heavy stuff that sticks to the blade and won't roll, the poly blade is a big help in preventing that. If you get the dry fluffy stuf regularly, either will do a good job.

I don't know about the weight difference, but you could check their website for that info.

3. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Do a search or go to the FAQ page. It has been discussed many times. And yes the poly blades are a little heavier, I think they have to be braced a little more to compensate for the poly moldboard therefore adding a little extra weight.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

You'll want a big blade on that truck,like a 9 Ft.It's not the typeof truck you'll want for doing small stuff,or cleanups,so a straight blade should do fine.

The Poly blades are slighty heavier due to extra bracing.The steel moldboard plows use the moldboard itself as a structural member.

5. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

POLY NOT ALWAYS HEAVIER

I have the specs on sno-way they state the Predator 29 8.0 plow weighs

Poly = 568
    steel = 612
    stainless steel = 613

Ray

6. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

I just bought a Western 8' Poly Pro Plow for my truck and it weighed in at 780#'s. The 8' steel was 750#'s

After having steel plows for years, I am really going to enjoy this poly plow! No more sanding and repainting every year to keep the plow looking nice and smooth!:nod:[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2003
  7. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

price ?

Did you have the dealer install the plow? Did you go with the utra-mount? Did you get the cab command control? Can I ask what it cost you? Just checking to see how my quotes compare.

Thanks,
    Ray

8. Sidebuz

Sidebuz Member

First choice: Poly V. Second: Poly striaght. A distant third choice: anything metal.

If the truck can handle the poly V, go with it. Even with the extra weight. The time savings and extra money you can make will more than off set any damage to the vehicle.

9. HenkeRep

HenkeRep Junior Member

A few interesting things about Poly...

Yes, it is very heavy. I don't know that it's heavier than steel, but it is just as heavy as steel. The industry standard for "municipal" size plows is 3/8" thick.

And, like somebody else already mentioned, it's very common to have the support of a full, steel moldboard. This will give you the maximum support possible.

Although, I've heard guys complain that moisture can (does?) get in between the steel and the poly, and will start to corrode. As a compromise, our company manufactures "poly" plows with "cutouts" in the steel moldboard.

The primary advantages of using poly are:

(1) Resistance to corrosion
    (2) Resistance to impact. Poly can easily absorb impacts (gravel and such) which would dent steel, but will merely bounce off the poly.
    (3) Reduction of friction. Snow slides off the poly easier than steel.

Thus endeth my two cents...

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

HenkeRep

Welcome to Plowsite :waving:

11. HenkeRep

HenkeRep Junior Member

Thanks wyldman...

For what it's worth, I'd like to point out that I'm not here to solicit business, or anything of the like.

Our company MAKES snowplows, but we don't actually USE them, whereas you guys do. It makes sense to come in here, and try and learn from the Pro's.

Maybe I'll be able to pass some of the info. I learn in here on to some of my customers, and help them out. That's the goal anyway...

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well it's nice to have you onboard here at Plowsite.I'm sure your expertise with manufacturing plows will come in handy.There are lots of "Pro's" here willing to share good information as well.

Have fun,look around,and if unsure,do a search.

13. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

It is a delicate balance. On one hand, anything you say, given your username, can be considered advertising. On the other, you are being up front with us, and while you don't use plows, your company makes them to be sold. The exposure your company gets here, again, given your username, can be considered advertising.

I am glad in a way that you are not just lurking as a manufacturer. For instance, we (moderators) know that Fisher visits this site daily. We also know that people from Ford visit often too. There is actually a pretty long list of companies that lurk here.

I have had only one rep, who posted here often, and I allowed it. I let it go because what he did, was support end users of his product, and contribute (much like you already are) to more than just threads that could generate sales for his company. We all knew he was a rep, and maybe that did cause some people to buy his product, maybe it didn't, the important part is that IMO he didn't cross the "line".

I am sure some of you remember Bryan, the Sno Way rep, who is now deceased.

Anyway, welcome aboard Henke Rep.

~Chuck

14. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

HenkeRep;

Welcome to Plowsite.

Almost in my backyard, about 35 miles north of me!

:)

Now all I need is that real BIG truck!

Rick

15. HenkeRep

HenkeRep Junior Member

That is EXACTLY why I wanted to identify myself right off the bat. No secrets.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll respect the intent and direction of this site.

16. HenkeRep

HenkeRep Junior Member

Also, if you'd rather I change my username, I can do that as well...

I just didn't want to get involved in discussions, and then have guys figure out after the fact that I'm a manufacturer.

17. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Western Poly Plow Price

To answer your question...

8'0" Western Poly Pro Plow
    $3200.00 Installed with Cab Command
    '03 2500HD

18. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

Thanks sbrennan007

That is right in line with the price I got from the dealer in Md. Hopefully I will have installed next week. I ordered my Timbrens and should have them tomorrow or Friday and hopefully put them on this weekend. Still working on Business license hopefully bt friday I will have it. Slowly getting my ducks in a row.

Ray