1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steel or Poly Cutting Edge?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mercer_me, Dec 29, 2012.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have a Fisher 7.5' SD and it has the stock poly cutting that comes on it.The poly cutting edge is far from being worn out and doesn't scrape very good. I'd like to get a steel cutting edge if it will scrape better but, I don't want to waste my money on it if it doesn't make much of a difference. So, my question is, will a steel cutting edge scrape better than a poly cutting edge?

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

yes steel should scrape better, I have both, I will say though my one with a poly edge is 100pounds lighter but poly is great for paver, deco drives or large paths.

3. mercer_me

I plow mostly gravel driveways and occasionally hot top.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

yes.......

5. mercer_me

I think it will be worth a trying a steel cutting edge.

6. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Only 95% of plows have them, it might work

7. mercer_me

I figured the steel cutting edge would work better but, I wasn't sure and I didn't want to waste money on a cutting edge that isn't much better than what I have now.