1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steel or Poly blades

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by madskier1986, Dec 2, 2012.

1. madskier1986

madskier1986 Senior Member

Just got my second plow truck. But all i need now is the plow. Should I get the poly or steel plow? The steel plow is Boss 8-2 power-v with wings, or the poly plow is a 8-2 power vxt. I really love the look of the VXT but don't know if I really need it. Any insight would be great.

We currently maintain 60 driveways (hopefully I can get 80) and 4 commerical lots (2000-1000 SF)
  2. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I got my first poly plow last winter, a Boss Vxt, and think it is the right thing to do. The issue of the snow sliding off the blade more easily, no rust to worry about, and the longevity of the poly were what sold me. Then again, there was no snow last winter, so no way to tell if what was expected would be true!
  3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Just got my first poly, haven't even used it yet.

Things that always bothered me about steel plows;
    1) Rust.
    2) Snow sticking to the rust. I.e., whole blade packed full of rust from stacking.
    3) Snow sticking to the rust. I.e., while plowing, the snow doesn't shoot off the plow well.

My thinking is that poly will solve these problems.
  4. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

They both have pros and cons. I've had steel in the past but went with a Poly VXT this time. Last year wasnt much to try it out but so far I like it!

a pro for me is I am able to change the moldboard if anything ever happens to it. and no rust!
  5. madskier1986

Well guys, I ended up going with the standard power v steel. I already got one of them and it is great.

I weighed my options, your comments, and despite the pros of the poly I went with the steel. I saved some money over my other option, the poly power-vxt. I do like that with the poly plow the snow does not stick to the blade but that was really the only benefit. I hopefully don't regret my decision. If my supplier is not giving me a bunch of b.s., hey say they sell more steel power-v then vxt. And the VXT is just more looks than anything. Don't gain any efficiency.

Let me know what you guys find out on your poly plows.
  6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I've run a poly for years all the hipe about snow falling off of it is true, they clean up nice and are very durable. Two things that do take way from the poly is sunlight with it's ultraviolet rays it will degrade the plastic over time giving it a rough finish, the other is gravel driveway can scare them up depending of the shape of the rock.
    I have Poly and Steel blades and next time go with poly.
  7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I just got my truck back from having a plow kit installed. I got a Meyer ploy blade and everything needed installed for $2500! It's used but for the most part looks brand new. Just waiting for snow. Unlike others that toss 40K on a new truck and plow then not get snow, I had the cash to buy it and if it doesn't snow, I can manage fine without. Now if it DOES snow, I'll be making bank like never before.
  8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Edit the "poly"..... LOL
  9. madskier1986

I hope it snow. I am one of those guys who just dump over 40 grand on a new plow truck. But to be fair, I did buy a crew cab and put a bunch of features in my truck. I am making it my daily drive so I wanted comfort.

Sounds like you will win if we have a winter like last year. Lucky