1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steel Or Aluminum Wheels

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Dec 6, 2005.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

I was just wondering if you all run steel or aluminum wheels in the winter? I run steels in the winter my snow tires.
    Thank You
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have one with aluminum and two with steel rims. My 01 Dodge 2500 with plow prep, heavy duty group, trailer,tow,camper group came with the aluminum. If you keep the right tires on them and keep them inflated you should not have any problems with them. But having said that ,I prefer the steel rims, old habits I guess..
  3. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

I prefer the steels in the winter since it makes it easier to repaint them when needed versus having to deal with pitted aluminum from the road salt.
  4. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

My steel ones have a high quality chrome finish so there really is not that much maintenance to do other than to polish them once and a while. The aluminum are 4yr old and all I do to them so far is wash them off.
    Thats pretty good for living in the salt belt of MN!!
  5. me1223

me1223 Member

Definately use steel wheels, about three years ago we ahd aluminum rims on one of our cars (not a plow, just a car) and we got a flat, well, the aluminum had melted? or somehow fixed itsself to the bolts on the axle, it took a 4X4 and a 15# sledge to get it off. Put the 4X4 under the car, go around to the other side, hit it four or five times, move the car about half a foot and repeat. SO STEEL RIMS ALL THE WAY.
  6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I just run the factory rims..:nod:
  7. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

i second that... gm aluminums.
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You can get both steel and aluminum from the factory .(stock):nod:
  9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

steel- much cheaper to replace when damaged, cheaper to repair when damaged, and usually carry a higher rating for weight. (factory steels to boot for both snows and summers)
  10. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

I always ru the aluminums. I have never had a problem with pitting and such as i always rinse the vehicle everytime i get back from a run.
  11. westwind

westwind Member

We have both steel and aluminum, prefer steel. Temp. change, salt and curbs all affect the aluminum. However i would not buy rims specificly for snow removal.
  12. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

Ive had both. Aluminum wheels are good for looks and performance but thats about it. As for the galling between the wheel and hub, just put some grease or anti-seize on there and you wont have that problem. Many aluminum wheels seem to develop slow leaks at the bead, where Ive never had that problem with steel. Aluminum wheels are more easily damaged if you hit a good sized pothole, which is commonplace summer and winter here. And aluminum wheels seem to allow snow and ice to stick to them much more easily, making it feel like youre driving on egg shaped tires.