1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steel instead of rubber for wings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cold_and_tired, Oct 27, 2009.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure where to put this so if if gets moved, so be it.

I did a search and didnt find much. Has anyone every put steel cutting edges on their wings instead of rubber?

I have a contract that requires a really good scrape next to the gutter to prevent residual ice build up, the rubber edges just fold back and still leave snow.

I have a set of pro wings and figured I could bolt steel on pretty easy. I was also thinking about rounding the lower outside edge to fit the contour of the gutter.

Would the steel affect the trip of the plow at all? I have never tripped my blade at any of my current contracts but I did pick up quite a few gas stations so I imagine it will be tripping quite often now.

I currently have the rubber doubled up on the pro wings in an attempt to stiffen things up but it doesnt seem to be working.

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

3. cold_and_tired

Thanks for the link.

GP, what did you end up using?

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i still havent replaced the rubber yet, i dont know to be honest, urathane seems alittle better, but i have no idea where to buy urathane for it.

5. cold_and_tired

I have quite a bit of scrap 1/8" polycarbonate laying around from the window well covers that I make in the summer. I am going to put a few pieces of them together in between the two pieces of rubber and see if that stiffens things up enough.

I know the poly is pretty flexible but it might crap out when it gets too cold.

We have a fairly big storm coming in tonight, I might get up early enough to throw something together before I go out. I will report back.

6. cold_and_tired

Well the poly didnt work. The cold and constant pressure kind of molded them and now the rubber of the wings is almost non functional. Disassembling tomorrow and starting over.

7. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

you probably could get it through a protech dealer but it would probably be in at least an 8 foot length...just a thought,
    steve