1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steel cutting edges?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by OC&D, Dec 9, 2010.

1. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

For those of you that endeavor to make your own cutting edges for your plows, what type of steel do you use? Carbon steel just doesn't hold up--I can attest as I've tried it. Hardened steel is the way to go but the local steel suppliers only seem to have "cutting edges", which means they have a tapered edge for use on say, a skid loader bucket. So if you make your own cutting edges, what exactly is the type of steel you've found that will hold up and is available in 1/2" x 6" flats?

I just bought the tapered cutting edge stuff. I got 24', which will get me two sets of edges form my Blizzard 810 for just under $300 tax included. I intend to flip it so the tapered edge is up. This is a steal, considering I'll have 1 set for about $150, versus the darn near $500 the dealer wants for a set.

*Mods--feel free to move this thread if there's a better spot for it!
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Just High Carbon Steel is what I've been always told to use for the cutting edges.

There a local welding and fab shop in the area that can make just about any type of cutting edge I need, and they are usually half the price as a new OEM edge.