1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steel Cracking on Western WideOut

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by SnowManagement, Apr 28, 2013.

?

Should Western Repair, Replace or do Nothing?

1. Repair

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Replace

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  3. Do Nothing?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnowManagement

SnowManagement Junior Member

I am experiencing problems not with hoses and seals but rather the steel itself. My 3 year old WideOut has several cracks both on welds and on the solid plow blade. This is NOT an issue with abuse or misuse. This plow has been used kindly, cleaned free from any salt, sanded and painted at the end of each season and has been stored indoors.

Drivers Side Wing Cracks Front.jpg

Drivers Side Interior Crack.jpg

Drivers Side Wing Cracks Back.jpg

Passenger Side Interior Frame Crack.jpg

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

hmm, i guess its not just mine. all of mine have also bent back the cutting edge, and they are not abused either

3. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Subscribed

4. SnowManagement

I haven't had any problems with the edge bending. I had an issue with a hydraulic leak that was covered by warranty 2 years ago. Everything works as it should including all moving/sliding parts and wings. What's weird is that some of the cracks are in places where there shouldn't be much, if any, force applied. I was told that it is metal fatigue...an issue with the strength/quality of the metal. I have tried to contact Western's Warranty department and was denied. I am hopeful that they take notice to this thread and try to remedy this issue. Besides that, I love the technology behind the WideOut. Sure can move a lot of snow!

5. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Just purchased a used Wide-Out. Subscribing.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I'm sure Hugh or john will chime in.

7. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

Western did warrantee my year old wideout last year for a similar issue. New wideout is cracked up even worse. Mine is washed after every use and always stored indoors. It's a great plow but I highly doubt I will buy another.

8. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

DD really needs to watch how many threads they get with CRAPPY WELDS! AND CRACKS! Maybe they'd stop losing so many sales to Boss.

I'm so glad my newest plow is an 05...

9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe they need to use a more "robust" steel with "massive" welds.

I believe that was the wording for the new hinges when there wasn't anything wrong with the old ones.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I gotta get me one of those

11. SnowManagement

Why aren't I trimming shrubs and spreading mulch? Well, that's not the kind of work we do. It appears that I'm not the only one having issues with Western's move towards poor quality steel. There is one thing I have noticed though, seems this site's admins work for or are paid off by Western! Let's keep the reviews unbiased, fair and accurate!!!

12. hwilson

hwilson Junior Member

Good afternoon,

My name is Hugh Wilson, and I am the DD Manager of Technical Service in Milwaukee. I have read your post and would like to speak to you in person regarding your WideOut plow concerns. Please contact me at my office between the hours of 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM. My office number is 414-362-3999.

Thank you!
    Hugh

13. SnowManagement

I would like to send a HUGE THANK YOU to Jeff and Hugh at Western for taking notice to this thread, contacting me about this issue and coming through in a BIG way! You have far exceeded my expectations and therefore I am truly grateful.

Thank you also to PlowSite for allowing me to post this thread and for providing a platform to discuss such things with so many industry experts.

Sincerely,
    Western Customer For Life

14. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

As a Wide Out owner and longtime Western owner, glad to see this response!

15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Already knew the results before the call.

16. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

What did they do to fix the problem? I am considering a new truck and if I do i want to get a wideout. However if this is an issue I may stick with my proplus and remount it on the new truck. If they don't do anything make sure you get the cracks fixed. Otherwise they will continue to keep tearing/cracking. I weld for a living and do a lot on the side most people wait until it breaks completely and is all bent up and then wonder why it cost so much to fix it.

17. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

Maybe they promised a new plow that is a worse piece of crap than the one they took back I've seen this happen.

18. SnowManagement

Let's just say they are taking Very good care of me!

19. SnowManagement

Anything is possible, but I highly doubt it! I will happily take the chance!

20. SnowManagement

I was Very Pleasantly surprised after my dealings with the warranty department at my local distributor. Western and DD really came through in the end! I love the technology behind the WideOut and because of my recent experience I will be buying another. Hands down the most efficient plow out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.