1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steel containers

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DodgeBlizzard, Oct 16, 2010.

1. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

I've been bouncing back and forth on what to do for storing bulk salt for the first time. I wasn't sure if I wanted mafia blocks or a new to me idea of a steel container after reading about it on here. After talking to my plow dealer yesterday, I learned they actually have the 40' steel containers. $ 100 / month and $ 100 to deliver. I asked about purchasing after six months and he said he would give me 80 % of the rental price towards the purchase price of $ 2500. So I figure renting it for six months, I would then spend $ 2,000 and it could be mine. And lets' not forget how I will be having a 40' billboard when I advertise on the side of the container. So will I be getting a decent deal with these numbers?

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

that is a great deal for a 40 footer. I paid $1800 for a 20 footer.
  3. DodgeBlizzard

any tricks to getting it loaded nice and full?
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We just rented one last week. Thats a good price, our 20ft container was 65/month and 100 to deliver. If it all works out this year I'm going to buy one for next season. I found new ones for 1800.00 (20ft) but the shipping was a killer at 650.00. As far as loading them, just keep piling with a skid steer. I guess they will hold around 22-26 tons. I'm going to make a ramp for mine so I dont bounce getting in and out and loosing half a bucket of salt each time.
  5. mws399LAWN

mws399LAWN Member

you should be able to buy a 40 - 53' for about 1700$ i just got a 20' for 1250.00, the 20 hold just under 40 tons
  6. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

Where did you find a 20ft for that price!
  7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Did you tell them you were putting salt in it?
  8. Brian Young

Yes, I made sure they knew what I was using it for. All he said "yeah ok" so I guess I'm good to go. I'll just buy it if it becomes a problem, its just moving it around that becomes expensive. But I have a place to put it if I need to, then I have another storage area.
  9. Brian Young

The 20 footer's hold that much? Thats good to know! I thought 25 or so.
  10. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I fit 32 ton in mine but had to put boards in the front to keep the salt from slipping down towards the doors. I couldn't imagine trying to fit another 8 tons!
  11. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

Check auction sites. Ritchie Brothers auctions has containers always 800-2000 depends on time of year and how big of an auction it is. There are equipment moving companies there you can get quotes from on moviing them. Pretty decent prices.
  12. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Craigslist in Chicago always has a couple. 1200-1800 depending on size.
  13. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

I found a few used 40's for $1800 but the delivery is what can kill the good price.
  14. mws399LAWN

mws399LAWN Member

a 20' can be moved on a flatbed tow truck mine was from chicago about 57 miles away cost 120$ to move and they just tilted it off the bed
  15. dquint

dquint Junior Member
    from Det,Mi

Are you guys talking a steel container like a dumpster or a coverd shipping container>
  16. grassmaster06

grassmaster06 Senior Member

i paid 1200 delivered for my 20 ft container .i bought it used from a shipping company ,and in great shape
  17. DodgeBlizzard

I don't know about the other guys, but I'm talking about a shipping container. Totally enclosed. So do you guys suggest spraying down the inside of the container with anything before it's loaded up with salt? And do you guys leave your salt in year round?
  18. Brian Young

If I was buying one I would spray it down with any oil, like Thrust, or just put a good coat of Rustolium.
  19. mws399LAWN

mws399LAWN Member

most shipping containers are made to be transported across the ocean, it'll be years before youll have problems
  20. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Can someone share a contact to get a container in the tri state area for less than $1800. Please feel free to PM me. I can pick up, Thanks