1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steamboat Snowblowing

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by jreese88, Mar 17, 2013.

1. jreese88

jreese88 Junior Member

Doing a little spring cleaning with my sw48. Good times!

image.jpg

2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

What do you primarily do out in Steam Boat? Is that the resi machine?

3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

That's a great view! I'd love to live in the mountains!

4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

nice pic nice machine

5. jreese88

jreese88 Junior Member

I have a snow removal business in steamboat springs. I use the blower for blow backs....got sick of doing push backs and dump truck removal. A lot of people have been hiring me to clear out their roof slides and what not so their basements don't flood lately.

6. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Nice ! How far will it throw snow ?

7. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Sweet blower!!! What are the specs on it? Make? year? engine? weight?

8. jreese88

jreese88 Junior Member

It is a 1978 bombardier sw48
    It has two motors, a ford straight six 300 powers the cat, a Wisconsin v4 runs the blower.
    This machine only has 600 hours on it. It was previously owned by the forest service and very well maintained. It will throw a lot of snow very far in record time. Light powder goes up to 130 feet. Solid ice goes up to 75 feet Slusy snow only about 30 feet. It all depeneds on what you're blowing.

9. jreese88

jreese88 Junior Member

I knew I was forgetting something. This beast weighs in at 7500 pounds!

10. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

that thing is awesome, can you get other attachments for it ?

11. jreese88

jreese88 Junior Member

I could run any hydraulic attachment. But, the machine is made specifically for snowblowing. It normally comes with a four speed auto transmission. Mine is upgraded to a hydrostatic transmission. This gives full throttle to the cat in infinite gears. It is not a fast machine. Top speed is 10 mph. However, it can also move forward or backward at a snails pace. Great for going through solid ice!

12. jreese88

jreese88 Junior Member

By the way this machine is for sale! It is a vintage collectors item in near perfect condition. This is the only machine I own that is appreciating in value!