1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

std. or auto trans

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 4LOW, Feb 28, 2000.

1. 4LOW

4LOW Guest

HI ALL, I'm building up a 1/2 ton 4x4, <br>wondering what kind of mpg difference<br>a standard trans has over an auto in<br>a 4x4 with a 350 V8.<br>4LOW

2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

It really depends on what transmission you want, and what you'll use it for. If you drive the truck on the highway a lot, an overdrive gear would make a bigger differance than the auto or manual difference. Newer chevy's came with a 5 speed stick, but those probably aren't too pleantiful in the junkyards yet, and you have to be careful shopping for an overdrive auto, since the earlier years of the 700r-4 auto aren't too reliable on their best days. My stock one went out at 60,000 miles, but I had a performance rebuild done on it by a reputable local tranny shop, and it works GREAT now. I was getting about 13 mpg around town and 15 on the highway, as long as I drove with a light foot.