1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Staying awake

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FurFishGame, Jan 3, 2014.

1. FurFishGame

FurFishGame Member

I, like most of you, have a day job on top of plowing, so even for little storm being up 30+ hours is common, How do you stay awake? i have found that after getting so used to coffee i needed 4 or 5 to stay awake, i quit using it at all and now i stay awake much better. generally listen to country music, not very loud, have the window rolled down, and joke with the other guys over the cb, occasionally get out and sprint across the parking lot, still struggle after long shifts.

What do you do?

2. LopatLT7495

LopatLT7495 Member

Still haven't figured that out myself. I've been up since 6am worked all day, went out and did a push at all my accounts now ill just struggle to stay awake until I go out again. If I go to sleep I won't wake up.

3. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I've been experimenting this year with short naps during the storm. I took an 45 min nap this evening and just got up from an hour and a half nap. I felt bad though...the dog was next to me and it took a few shakes to wake her up...she was out cold

4. FurFishGame

FurFishGame Member

do you know if they help at all? or make you more groggy? ive tried dozing off for one or 2 songs, and that would usualy help for about a half hour..

THe biggest problem we have is our shift only takes 12 hours, on average, but i got up for work at 5am, dont get home till 6pm, then start plowing at 9, and since its a "short" shift "there is no reason to stop ever except to pee"

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Crystal meth works wonders.... just sayin LOL No, I've never done anything like that. I'd keel over if I did. hahaha

That or don't try to work two jobs. Especially when the one is not on a schedule. What happens when you have to plow snow and be at your day job?

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I put the cruise control on and hop in back cab to take a little nap while the truck plows.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  7. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Drink tons of water, chew sunflower seeds, and whatever music you can sing or dance to. Also hitting a curb every now and again will keep you on your toes.

8. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

I too gave up coffee and tea and i was starting to get some odd reactions to the affiance. Now i stick to fruits and vitamins and it has worked out much better than red bull coffee.

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't have a day job, this is all I do in the winter.....

10. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I keep the windows rolled down, usually get a nice blast of cold air that wakes me up just before I drift into the other lane.

11. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

I get out and help shovel the walks to keep awake. Usually the adrenaline is enough I keep me awake for the storm

12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I do this for a living that's it If Im not plowing snow I'm drawing employment

I train my self for plowing I stay up till and sleep less So when I have plow all night it doesn't bother me
    What helps is windrow down with heat on full blast

13. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I've only had a problem staying awake once, it was a few years ago and I was out plowing for 40 hours straight. Other than that I don't have a problem and I don't have a part time job in the winter to worry about.

14. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

When I used to drive nonstop for FL, I'd take two 5-hour Energies and a cup of coffee each time I stopped for gas. Usually stop 4 times in the 17-19 hours. Kept me awake for sure, but who knows what I was doing to myself!

A more healthy approach... I've read that naps of about 20 minutes really help to re-energize you. 30 minutes max. After that, you start REALLY sleeping and you'll wake up with that groggy feeling.

15. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Long stretches I use 5 hour energy, drink half amd wait half hour, then drink the rest

16. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

5 hour energy, diet dew. Oh and hit curbs, that really works

17. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Lots of water (keeps your bladder busy so you have to get out the truck), keeping the windows somewhat open, yelling at the guys (all in good fun) . If I leave the window up too long, even with the tunes on.. I start getting tired and FAST.

18. FurFishGame

FurFishGame Member

Ha, speaking of curbs...i just ripped some flashing off a school, thatll keep mo more alert... most annoying part was a had my head out the window staring at my plow edge and it hit...

19. FurFishGame

FurFishGame Member

what fruits and vitaminas do you take?

20. FurFishGame

FurFishGame Member

i can usualy come in a little late, if we plow all day they understand and sometimes give me the day off..