1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stay safe guys.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PTSolutions, Jan 6, 2014.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Praying for all my snowplowing brothers out there in the hard hit areas. We got lucky and dodged a bullet here in Cleveland, but I heard about the upper NY areas and IN, IL, MI areas getting 30-40" in addition to the brutal cold. Hope everyone stays safe. There's alot of guys on here always hoping for monster storms but it only takes experiencing one to know better.
  2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Yeah, Grandview isn't making a lot of noise tonight.
  3. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

I agree. I want a snow storm every week personally, but I don't ever wish upon a monster storm again, 2010 we got 29inches here in our area, and that was a wake up call for me and my thinking on the snow buisiness. I beleive that week was my toughest week of my life no joke. But I wll take 3-5 inch snows anyday. Good luck to any one up there!
  4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed. Few years back we got a few back to back 15 some inch storms within days. That was not fun.
  5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Last year we got nearly 20" from a storm. It was very hard to get any workers to come in for the final and cleanup rounds. I Love getting less than 10" at a time. You can never have enough equipment for those big dumpers.
  6. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, trucks are pretty much worthless when you get that much snow. One year we got almost 20", the straight blades were worthless. The snow would either stop the trucks in their tracks, or kick them sideways when trying to windrow. We had to have the trucks with the v blades go in there in v to break a line down the middle then just keep trying to windrow to the sides. The straight blades would just pile up the snow on the apron from anything that was backdragged.

If we got anything crazy, I'd keep the trucks at home and only roll out the skid steer and tractors and hydro and pto snow blowers. No reason to break the trucks.
  7. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

It is likely fair to say most of us who get some snow equipment and more than a couple of customers thinks oh yeah test me baby. After you get it cleaned up I thought what was I thinking, then you start planning for next time.
    Plow safe.