1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stay in 4wd....or switch to 2wd.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Feb 22, 2005.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Do you switch to 2wd when going from account to account or just stay in 4wd? I now it's not good to drive on pavement in 4wd but how bad is it to keep switching from 2wd to 4wd a lot? If the roads are still pretty snowy I'll stay in 4wd if I'm not going too far but as the roads are showing more pavement I tend to switch into 2wd more.

Thanks for any opinions,

Joel B.

2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Pretty much what i do..If the roads are still snow covered i stay in 4 if i see pavement no need for 4 wheel anymore.

3. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I agree with what you stated in the initial post, When there is snow on the ground I keep it in 4 wheel. If I am going a long distance I switch back to 2wd

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I stay in 2wd most of the time even when plowing. I run lotsa balast and have good tires. only put her in 4x4 when needed. Most times I transport in 2wd.

5. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

Can someone explain what the difference is? Why would it put more wear on your truck with 4 wheel drive?

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

The increased wear comes from the fact the the front axles are locked together. When making turns the wheels/axles will want to spin at different rates, causing increased stress on the drive line components. I slippery conditions normally not much stress, but still more that 2wd.

7. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

I basically do the same.Only real time my truck goes into 4wd is on an inclined driveway...

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Ditto to Ratlover. Good snow tires (not all season) and ballast are all I need most of the time.

4x4 wear also comes from the fact that your front axle and rear axle rations aren;t always exactly the same so one end is turning faster than the other or some slip in the traction from one to the other causes one end to turn faster then the other and with no give in the transfercase you can bind- snowy roads give slip to the wheels. If you want to drive in 4x4 go ahead as long as there's not bare pavement- but if you put on good tires and add some weight you will probabily find you don;t need it.

9. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I keep it in 2wd as much as possible. But I also use 4hi and 4lo everytime I'm out.

10. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I have BFGoodrich A/T's on my truck and I have 5 boxes of sand in the back for weight and have no problems at all. Only time I use 4wd is when I am going up hill plowing.

11. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Yep only need 4x4 when pushing down in a ditch and need to back out. Even the last storm we got that i had the blade up in the air but was still pushing snow cruising down the road i could still cruise in 2wd. There is just too many more things that need to be fixed when using it all the time, plus my 4wd gets the crap beat out of it during summer so it needs some rest time.

12. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I try to stay in 2wd as much as possible without straining the truck....and if if there is little or no snow on the ground, I'm always in 2wd

13. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Great Thread and Posts

I think you guys may have just taught me something.
    May save me some maintenance issues and increase the life of my trucks.
    Thanx!

14. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i switch if im dry road if its snow packed 4wd

15. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

2wd as much as possible. Less wear and tear on the truck. :nod:

16. Mowman62531

Mowman62531 Member

4 hi when pushing. Use my autotrack when traveling from account to account. Less wear and tear on everything. :)

17. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Most of my plowing is done in 4H, if its less then an inch then I just stay in 2H. Between driveways: Depends on conditions, if I get to a road thats black and wet i go to 2WD. I would not say that having it in 4X4 is more stress on the truck in all situations, you just have to use it right. If your binding its time for 2WD or wider turns.

18. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

How about shifting it. Do you complete stop, or on the fly, considering a late model truck (92-99) i try to keep a slow speed (put in N) and drop from 2 to 4 wd. on the fly. >>>

19. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

On my GMC there is no need to be at a complete stop. I shift on the fly all the time, just let off the gas, and shift the transfer case, then back on the gas. Its that easy. It will also shift at a stop if required. Kinda the best of both worlds. No need to put the transmission in neutral unless you are going into 4LO, then you should be rolling 1-3 MPH with Trans in N and shift from 2HI (or 4HI) into 4LO. Come back out of 4LO the exact opposite. Do not pause in N on the transfer case of you will cause the gears to grind a bit. Go straight through, one swift motion.

Thats with the floor mounted shifter, some of the chevy/gmc's have the pushbutton electronic shift. I had that on my Blazer with the AutoTrac 4wd. Pretty much the same thing, but push a button instead of pull a lever.

Kevin

20. doug96

doug96 Member

other 4x4 concerns

this may be a good time/place to ask a few drivetrain questions that have me worried,
    you know how it is cant turn on the radio cause ya want to hear every little sound the truck makes :cry:

chevy brothers both my 91 blazer k1500 and 94 p/u 2500 take foever to engage 4 wheel in slow roll situations 4hi comes quicker at 10 seconds

when not moving or in a bad spot she really lags 35- 45 seconds
    any way to fix this

just got the pick up a week ago 7.5 meyer 47 with issues ,
    like putting it in reverse
    it shifts so fast and hard it cherps tires and bangs a bit but only going to reverse

i really could go on and on the meyer plow has 6 inches of slop bouncing in 4 dirrections on a bumpy one the plow bounces (yaws) left&right really fast

and when i angle right and let off toggle, it stops very hard and sudden
    angle to the left stops really easy :gunsfiring: put me out to sleep
    the big sleep

94 2500 p/u 7.5 meyer
    92 blazer k1500 no plow yet
    90 f250 for sealer tank