1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

State's plow truck stuck on highway that have 2" snow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Milwaukee, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A low friction coefficient.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

just what i was thinking :dizzy:
  4. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Mil perhaps he should throw some of that salt under the tire>>>>>>>>:rolleyes:
  5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

it was icy? it also looked like he may have been tangled up with that box truck there??? or maybe the right side was off the road and couldnt make it on to the road?? And only the rear tires are spinning, most trucks that size dont have power to the front axle anyway since they dont normally need it.
  6. gkm

gkm Senior Member

i would hate to have that happen to me!:realmad:
  7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Well I can see front tire are spin.

Well if it was me I would stop not try spin all day. Then get salt from dump bed and throw salt near tires then wait for several min then it get traction.

But if it was me i would not stop drive or it get stuck like this one.
  8. orange79

orange79 Junior Member

Happens alot more than people see it happen
  9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe he should have raised the plow. I don't think he is going to get out of the truck, he is paid by the hour.
  10. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

im not sure he knows how to plow, or drive that.
  11. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

12. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

A little bit of ice under those drives and you can be all done, trust me, been there and done that with 47,000 in the box grossing 78,000. Its called a "sit and spin", you sit there spinning hoping that you will burn through the ice and finally grab some pavement.

And yes, getting his lazy butt out of the truck and throwing some sand under the drives would have helped.
  13. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I just watched the vid again, the front tires arent spinning, you can tell on the last 2 secs, the rears are still spinning and the front is not. If it did have power that truck would be another 4"s in the air with pretty wide fender flares as well. It happens, I see this stuff a fair amount during the winter, plus my friend plos for one of the tollways here so I hear stories, lol.
  14. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Thats an Iowa DOT truck. I have never seen an IDOT truck that has power to the front wheels. I don't recognize the police car so I'm not sure where in the state that was taken.
  15. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Did he ever try reverse.. ? ? ? ?
  16. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

No, they take out reverse for 2 reasons: to prevent backing accidents & because drivers aren't productive in reverse (they can only plow forward!).
  17. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Yes i was right, throw some salt under the back tire!:p
  18. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

That would suck!
  19. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Been there done that. I got stuck last winter in much the same situation. A little snow under the carriage and alot of packed ice under the tires! Once U lose your momentum your pretty much done.
    I had my truck locked up in 4x4 w/ afull load of salt and we had 1 of those storms where the snow was very wet. As soon as your tires touched it, it became packed, glare ice. I was stuck in my own wheel holes.:angry:
  20. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Well. If that video was shot last year, we never had a normal snow, it was all rain-freezing rain-snow - huge Temp drop. More than likely there was an Ice glaze with snow on top. Then throw in an accident with the other drivers.

Recipie for disaster