1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

State law

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by M&M Services, Jan 18, 2008.

1. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

ANyone know the law in IL about what color light bar you can have?? I appreciate it.
    Thank you,
    Mike

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i have no idea and im bored so i will post but my gut is tellin me amber or those clear led gizmos:jester:

3. DodgeGuy

DodgeGuy Member

Amber only, however some run white also(which I do not recommend as it is technically an illegal color to use for plowing).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  4. M&M Services

from midwest

thanks for the info guys thats what I figured...
    Mike

5. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

Dodge Guy is right you are only allowed amber lighting products. Red and blue are for Police/Fire/Ambulane only - Most place won't sell any other than amber to an indivdual who is not affiliated with a police for fire department.

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

It's actually a fine line. IL law allows for lights under specific restrictions ( actually it's very confusing in certain categories ). Typical blue/red/green/white for fire/police. Amber/Yellow for tow. They really do not touch on snow plow trucks unless your part of a village.

This is a link I found in a quick search. The other link I had also talked about snow plow trucks, green colors. Not sure if this link holds the current law or not but, I remember it's probably not drastically different.

http://ilga.gov/legislation/legisnet92/hbgroups/hb/920HB2534LV.html

Some will also say when your on private property you can have any color under the sun. Just don't go onto public streets.

7. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

for most of the states is amber & clear only !!

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Most if not all states it's amber only.
    And they want it on the roof so you don't blind someone with your million joules of light.

9. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

I worry more about the federal ones. Most of the state only laws are just fines. And the federal ones can make it so you do your time out of state so you wont get much for visitation. :nod:

10. M&M Services

from midwest

thanks for the help guys..... anyone have a new amber lens kit for a 9m mini edge cheap??

11. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I see tons of guys in IL with clear hideaway strobe kits. Also for the mini edge, I would go all amber with a clear endcap on the passenger side or both side if you want, for that extra pop on the sides when backing out onto roads.

12. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

i run an amber roof light clear HAW in the corners. never had a problem from PD. unless i'm plowing infront of my fire station i run amber roof, HAW, blue dash king200, blue/clear whelen highlighter visor. my village public works only plows 9am-5pm, then county comes thru when the have a chance. so i clean up infront of the station, police station, village hall. they are all right next to eachother.